Is this usable

Tall_Paul said:
However, I can't believe anyone else in my position wouldn't have done the same. You're honestly telling me you would have taken a 70 pound hit? Sorry, I don't buy that.

Yes, I would have taken a £70 hit because I would have been honest to myself and acknowledged that it was my fault for not examining the auction properly.

Also, you weren't the only bidder on that auction, there were others just a couple of quid behind you - indicating that the price you paid wasn't way out. If I were in your position and unhappy with the purchase, then I would simply re-list it on ebay myself - minimising my loss and not leaving the seller disadvantaged as you have.

The seller was honest, you're playing them and being somewhat dishonest in doing so as you have already acknowledged that the fault was visible in the original photos.

With ebay now giving the buyer the power to leave negative feedback and the seller unable to do the same, the seller is left at a huge disadvantage - this will (I am sure) be the reason you have had a refund.

Nett result is the seller is left out of pocket because you have simply changed your mind because of your initial lack of attention to the detail of the auction listing and photos.

To be honest, it is because of cases like yours that I am put off selling stuff on ebay - sellers are left vulnerable and at a huge disadvantage.

If things are listed incorrectly then I agree the seller should refund. Two instances I have had recently are: A set of Cross pens bought where the seller didn't mention or show in the photos the engraving of "Irish Rail 2000". The other is where I bought a shaving set with an English Superspeed - seller shipped the wrong item to me. In both cases, the seller was clearly in the wrong and both refunded instantly.

Well you are quite clearly a better man than I am and you're right that I've played the system but I suspect most people will unfortunately. It's one of the fundamental flaws of both Ebay and human nature.

How many of us would point out to someone that the razor for two quid at a car boot is actually a rare Gillette worth a hundred? Hardly anyone I bet.

Tall_Paul said:
How many of us would point out to someone that the razor for two quid at a car boot is actually a rare Gillette worth a hundred? Hardly anyone I bet.

That's quite different. Just like it's the buyers responsibility to ensure they know what they are buying, it's the sellers responsibility to know what they are selling. If the seller under-prices an item, that's their problem. If they over-price it, then generally it won't sell - again, their problem. If it does sell at the over-priced amount, then it's the buyer's problem for not knowing what they are buying - I certainly wouldn't expect the seller to tell me that I'm paying too much.

In short, if I sell something to someone for a fiver then later discover that it's worth hundreds, then that is clearly MY fault for not investigating the item to start with.

EDIT: Anyway - I don't want to get into a fight or cause bad feelings or anything - just my thoughts. It's worked out well for you and that's cool - myself, I would have played things differently.

This has been quite an interesting debate for me to watch as I was watching this razor myself. Like Paul I realised the razor could be worth money, but I was only willing to give around £30.00 for it as I realised from the start it was a rescue job.
I am glad Paul and the seller have sorted this amicably and don't forget the seller can offer it to the next bidder down the line, so they have not lost out totally. So even with the hit on P&P and the £2.00 they still will get more than the razor is worth?
Even a rare razor with that amount of damage is worthless unless you can sort it out
and that one is a bit beyond a push by hand to straighten the base plate. It will need a full (or as far as you can?) strip down and even then you cannot guarantee that you could get the base back to where it should be.

missingskin said:
I am glad Paul and the seller have sorted this amicably and don't forget the seller can offer it to the next bidder down the line, so they have not lost out totally. So even with the hit on P&P and the £2.00 they still will get more than the razor is worth?
Even a rare razor with that amount of damage is worthless unless you can sort it out

Is the razor not "worth" the value of the highest bid? I thought that that was how auctions worked - people bid up to the value of worth they attached to the item, taking in to consideration the condition of the item. Different people will, of course have differing ideas of the value.

The seller can offer it to the next bidder, but they may no longer be interested.

missingskin said:

I think that's an over simplification of things.

It looks to me that the final few bids were snipes which can be set then removed before they are put in. It would seem that Paul's was also a snipe so really no excuse but to do ones research properly.

You say not all is lost but we don't know how this will turn out. The under bidder may have spent their money elsewhere by now and another person may even have put in a snipe of £69 in the last 2 seconds, and been too late as £68.89 was already in.

The fact is a deal was done then regretted. How Paul behaves is up to him, but the seller (who doesn't seem like a "business" seller just a normal person) has been inconvenienced and may or may not lose out financially in the long run. But that's life its not always fair.

It is regrettable and not something I'm proud of but what's done is done and I will have to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Unfortunately the seller has not helped by not responding to any of the four emails I've sent. If they had they could have made a second chance offer pretty much straight away.

Back
Top Bottom