Is this any good to get an idea about SE/straight shaving?

Jabberwock said:
Disposable blade straight razors are excellent tools. Sadly, many folks who have never even used one seem to be willing to offer you up advice. I use straight razors, DE razors, and DBSRs and I actually prefer DBSRs. Here is the advice that I gave to another person wondering about purchasing a similar razor:

I absolutely love Disposable Blade Straight Razors (DBSRs)! I have done a huge amount of research into the subject and have found that there is disturbingly little information out there. Most of the usable info about DBSRs is spread far and wide and involves an unfortunate amount of bashing. I have not been using DBSRs for very long, but I have yet to nick myself even once, I have yet to cause myself any irritation with one, and I get shaves equal to that of a straight razor in half the time.

Are DBSRs right for everyone? No, but neither are straight razors. Both DBSRs and straight razors require an investment of time that not everyone is willing to make. How many threads are out there with new straight users complaining about getting "the worst shaves of their lives" using a straight? Tons. How many people tell them, "Stick with it, your technique will improve, it takes a good 100 shaves to get it right,"? Tons and tons. So, why should it be any different with a DBSR (Disposable Blade Straight Razor)? I use DEs, straights, and DBSRs (maybe that'll catch on :) ), and I actually prefer the DBSRs. It's astonishing to me that there is so much hate thrown at them. The DBSR is the red headed step child of the wet shaving world, which is unfortunate because it is an excellent tool with a lot going for it. DBSRs are not fake straight razors or straight razor trainers, they are a unique type of razor with unique abilities and properties. I currently own 7 DEs, 6 straights, and 3 DBSRs and I can get good shaves from all of them, but I prefer the DBSRs. DBSRs have the style and close shaving ability of a straight, but with the ease of maintenance, lower cost, and blade variety of a DE.

Here is my assessment:
If you have never used a straight razor then it will mostly likely take a while to master the DBSR. Holding a straight razor/DBSR is a totally alien feel for a person used to a DE and it takes a while to figure it out. A DBSR is lighter and sharper than a straight, but is otherwise fairly similar. If you use a feather light touch and take the same advice that people give to straight razor users (take your time, start off doing just wtg, keep your angle tight, and stretch your skin) and apply it to a DBSR, then you will be fine. The DBSR allows you to customize your experience with multiple types of blades, disposes with the uncertainty of whether or not the blade is properly honed, eliminates the time consuming process of stropping and oiling, and will let you get into it without spending a ton of money. Unfortunately DBSRs are usually on the low end of the quality spectrum. Parker and Sanguine have some well made ones, but their quality control is a bit hit and miss. Feather and Kai make high quality DBSRs, but they are absurdly expensive. No one, with the possible exception of CJB, really makes good middle of the road DBSRs yet.

Keep in mind that it will take a little while to master, but if you're patient and cautious then you'll do fine. Try it out for a month, if you do not like it then pass it along to someone else.

I hope that helps.

majortom said:
I can see where you are coming from, thinking that using a shavette gives you some idea of shaving with an open blade. I started with a shavette and got on well with it from day one. When I moved on to my first straight,although a different technique was needed, I felt that the shavette experience helped in giving confidence to approach my face with this lethal looking weapon. This let me experiment with different angles etc. whereas I would have been reluctant to do so if I hadn't tried the shavette. Enjoy it when it arrives.

Thanks for some balancing opinions.

The razor came today and I shaved without a single cut or nick. (I'm glad Jabberwock can also say that because I was becoming worried that people might think I was making it up.) It wasn't my best shave ever but it was perfectly acceptable and, I think, better than my first DE shave - probably because I've learned a lot about the various 'grain' directions on my face whilst using that.

Naturally I was very careful and it took a long time but it certainly wasn't anywhere near as difficult as I'd suspected it would be.

I've also received my Merkur Futur so will probably be using that and the DBSR on alternate days.

Good work! Not everyone can get even an acceptable shave their first time with a straight or a DBSR. The skills I gained learning to shave with a straight allowed me to use a DBSR with zero difficulties, but I don't think that you have to be a straight razor master in order to use a DBSR well. I honestly believe that with the proper caution and patience that anyone can get a nick and irrigation free shave using a DBSR. As your abilities increase and your confidence comes up the time that it takes you to complete a shave will decrease significantly. Keep it up, and keep us informed. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Possibly another balanced opinion?
I too like shavette type razors, and while they are in my opinion not the best things to learn to straight shave with they are fantastic tools. They are very light in comparison to a true straight and just don't give the same feel, they are much more sharp as well which will punish mistakes so much more. But don't be put off by them (I don't think you have so far!)
As you have already done, just take your time and don't be scared. The worst cuts I ever got were because I was too hesitant and not firm enough.
And yes, if yo can shave effectively with one of these you can use a straight no problem. But trust me, a straight is much nicer (in my opinion of course)

Back
Top Bottom