Is there a dentist in the house?

Hello all

anyone no a dentist, I just want some advice, I have a hereditary condition that gives me bad teeth, one thing is I get a tooth abscess about once a year. I currently have one that is agony, it woke me up at 3am Monday morning and I have been awake since, the only way i can relieve the pain is to constantly swill my mouth with cold water i have now been doing this for 3 days.

I did see a NHS dentist on Monday, she spoke little English and couldn't examine me properly as I couldn't lie back long enough without swilling my mouth with water. Well the upshot is she has referred me to the hospital to have the tooth pulled and given me some antibiotics.

This morning i saw my doctor and he gave me some more antibiotics and some opioid based pain killers, the pain killers are not helping unfortunately.

I could spend my christmas/rent money to go and see a private dentist, but i dont want to if there is nothing more he can do, I know sometimes they are drilled etc. I just want anything to help relieve the pressure/pain.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

In Newcastle there is a large dental hospital attached to the RVI which caters for emergencies et cetera. It may be worth checking with your local NHS Trust (or whatever they're called these days) and see if something similar exists in your (or within about 100 miles) area...it would be worth turning up, sitting and waiting.

Good luck, there are few things worse than toothache at Chrimbo.

Best wishes...

It may take a few days for the antibiotics to do their stuff, and I would imagine that the infection will need to clear before any dentist will take tools to it. At least, that is what I have experienced in the past.

Ian

I'm sure Zubar is a dentist in the mean time make up a strong saline solution and rinse with that instead of just water, not nice but should help.

If the opiod's aren't working could you go back for something stronger? Well this is my usual over the counter pain relief recipe but it's redundant if the heavy guns aren't working.

Go to local Supershed pick up plenty of own brand Ibuprofen AND Paracetamol...take both together, taking care on exceeding dosage but 500mg EACH should help every 4 hours. That's about as strong a pain relief I think you can get over the counter within limits and without prescription.
It might be worth a try.

Hi Millay, sorry to hear about your current predicament. Advice from SWMBO as follows:

"You must see same/different dentist ASAP. Any proper, conscientious dentist would never leave you for long periods of time without getting rid of the cause of the abscess ie a big ball of pus under immense pressure at the base of the tooth. If the dentist feels unable to extract the tooth, the very least they could do is to open the tooth up and drain the pus through it.
In the meantime, the best pain relief is probably to alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen on a 2 hourly basis. Keep up with the cold water if it helps, though you could try rinsing with hot salty water to try and draw the infection a bit. Sleep propped up and hold a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel next to your face if it helps."

Hope things go OK for you and you get things sorted by Christmas.

PS You have Ollie to thank for this as he sent me an email. I hadn't planned to look on TSR until later. What a great network of mates this site is proving to be!! :D (or should I have put :| ?!)

I know what this feels like and you have my sympathy - not that that's any good to you. The only pain relief I know of which works in a case like this is dispersible cocodamol as issued by army doctors; I have no idea if it's available over the counter unfortunately, but it may be worth asking. This stuff is definitely not for long term use.

I get them too and its the closest thing to wanting to kill i've ever had.... enough sob stories
I found that the middle of the night abcess is a good time to get a visit to the NHS direct booked hospital appointment
He gave me diclophenac (sic) which is a strong anti-inflammatory
Co-codamol which are basically very strong pain killers which quickly ease the throbbing pain and let you sleep for a while
while they do their work the anti-biotics kill the infection. With all 3 things it eases quickly
I sympathise with you though

thanks Ollie and Pig cat.

I read through what you wrote, and decided to find a private dentist. I found one literally 4 doors away from me, he fitted me in between his other patients and drilled and stuffed anti biotics into the tooth. He also gave me a nice shot of novacaine. I slept for 20 hours straight when i got ack, the pain is gone now i have woken up and i feel a lot lot better.

NHS dentists seem to be a waste of time, my dentist was shocked that they would let anyone stay in such pain for so long without any treatment apart from antibiotics.

Thanks everyone for kind words and advice, i hope tomorrow I shall feel more normal.

Thats good to hear , I've suffered many times with abscesses ,so glad that they sorted you out.
Definitely the worst pain. Earlier this year I got one when a filling went wrong .

Arrowhead said:
I know what this feels like and you have my sympathy - not that that's any good to you. The only pain relief I know of which works in a case like this is dispersible cocodamol as issued by army doctors; I have no idea if it's available over the counter unfortunately, but it may be worth asking. This stuff is definitely not for long term use.

You should be able to get it over the counter ( :shock: ) usualy 500mg, if you know serving member, they can get much stronger doses. Probably not legal but who gives a F*ck with that much pain.

been there, done that so understand

first my advice DO NOT put hot water bottle near it as it will only spread the infection around your face!!!!!!

I went to the doctors (I am 58 years old) in tears

She gave me some pain killers that were basically narcotics, 1 to be taken at night

They worked within 15 mins of taking - sent me into a wierd world but I did not feel pain. 2 days later pain subsided as anti bio took hold.

See your dr and dentist asap - you cannot cure this on your own

If you need to i can find out the name of them i think

SEE YOUR DOCTOR - dentists will not prescibe stronger pain killers and most have not had an abcess so would not know what the pain is like

pedalpowersailing said:
first my advice DO NOT put hot water bottle near it as it will only spread the infection around your face!!!!!!

SEE YOUR DOCTOR - dentists will not prescibe stronger pain killers and most have not had an abcess so would not know what the pain is like

Sorry but the advice about the hot water bottle came from a dentist so not sure why you know different. If you've experienced an infection spreading perhaps it's a coincidence that you were easing the pain using this method? It is only to help with the pain anyway, it will not do anything for the cause.

Also not sure why you suggest visiting a doctor for a dental complaint.

Back
Top Bottom