Is that it?

It was all 'Reverse Engineering' . If you notice that when Gillette started there was nothing even similar to his razor.
Stonehedge; crop circles; UFO's !!! Why a British patent 1st? The BE was the 1st to take advantage of Alien Technology! Jules Verne , actually the 1st James Bond. French, no a British double agent. He was the one that gave the Alien Technology to Gillette ! Gillette then engineered it into what we have today. Wow!
So, Carl and Martin it not just shaving; it's a Cosmic Adventure.
(if you had looked closely at the opening ceremony for the Olympics it was all there! Hidden meanings and all).

Well there you are! I guess the new Vinny is right! I'm just a dumb ass - didn't get the Opening Ceremony, either - if I had just a smidgeon of a tad more interest, I'd discover what world opinion about it was/is).

Btb, Martin - it's an old British custom. In the face of massive lack of industrial/manufacturing investment, we were taught that it is a poor workman who blames his tools. Meanwhile, every other nation was tooling their guys up, getting into a modern groove. This is a potted history of Antdad's part in the downfall of the British economy.

Tradere this morning. Delightful!

Was John Dee not the 1st James Bond ? I really hate you guys who know all this kind of esoteric stuff !

JohnnyO. \:s

PS. When it comes to Vinnys, he's like the Highlander ............ THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE !

Carl. Hang in there. I for one am impressed with your shaving knowledge and experience. And they're just jealous that you have better looking knees then they do. Wear that kilt!

Canuck said:
If you just go off pure shave quality, then you may be in danger of missing the point. I think it's more that factor of belonging to an exclusive club with limited membership. Shaving with something so quirky, if you will.

I've got a 1912 but I've never got a closer shave with an SE over a DE so it now sits in its box. Similarly I've owned a couple of straights and never got better shaves than a DE, so I didn't persevere. But the point is that I wanted to shave with one! I think there is an appeal to these wacky things that go beyond how smooth you can get your cheeks.

I think if people here (the masters of the straights and the SEs) were really honest, they'd say that at least part of the appeal is that the implement itself and the exclusivity is kind of cool.

I agree 100%
I could not have said it better myself
I have a stable vintage and modern razor all of them have their own appeal.
Paul

Canuck said:
I think if people here (the masters of the straights and the SEs) were really honest, they'd say that at least part of the appeal is that the implement itself and the exclusivity is kind of cool.

Well of course that's the case. Just as DE users like to think that they are engaging in traditional shaving - if we are all totally honest, we would agree that catridges cannot be beaten in terms of speed, comfort and efficiency. I'll say that again - a cartridge shave cannot be beaten by anything yet invented - so going back to DE, SE or straights is for another reason.

Whilst I've got no probs with carts, (apart from cost, which is no critique of efficiency), any more than 2 blades used daily provokes ongoing razor burn under my lower lip & at the corners of my mouth for me.
I've used most types of generally available shaving device on the market since about 1960 & can't say that I use my current Streamline SE because of any perceived attraction to shaving differently from others. For me, as my old marine engineer of a dad used to say, form follows function; and the SE gives me the most comfortable shave with the greatest longevity of any razor since with the onset of cataracts & shakier handies which I've tried.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

UKRob said:
if we are all totally honest, we would agree that catridges cannot be beaten in terms of speed, comfort and efficiency.

Speed, yes; Efficiency, possibly: I can't agree on comfort mind you, I do still own a cartridge system and use it occasionally but I find it's not as comfortable as using one blade, but I appreciate we're all different. (I converted to DE from Sensors and I still like Sensors a lot).

Looking back on this older thread I regret that I wasn't as clear as I could have been with the SE club, I absolutely believe them when they say they get closer shaves with them. I simply couldn't, and that probably says more about my own failings rather than any percieved failings of the SE system, it just wasn't for me.

As someone who changes razor pretty much every day, I happily use DEs, SEs, and disposable blade straights (Feather, Kai and CJB) and can get equally good, pleasurable shaves with each of them. I understand that not everyone will feel the same way about the razors they've used, but it would be boring if everyone had the same opinion on everything wouldn't it? :icon_rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom