Is that it?

Persevere! they said. So I did.

Gem Blue Star blades fail to impress - especially in a 1912 Ever-Ready - so Gem Industrial Strength in a Gem Bullet Point was today's attempt. By the end of the second pass it was going well enough that I stuck with it for the entire shave (I've been using a Weber for the final pass to clean up the patches) and achieved an very acceptable shave. Once the Bullet Point gives up its secrets - lay back and an even lighter touch - the shave becomes acceptable for such a crude contraption. Crude for lack of blade alignment, mainly.

I have a Valet Auto-Strop en route and a Clog-Pruf paid for so I can't draw final conclusions just yet. Missed out on a StreamLine last evening despite putting in a crazily high bid - I thought! - two were a lot crazier!

But I'm left wondering so far - what do others see in SE shaving that can't be beaten hands down with a Weber DE, say, and a good, sharp blade. That combo is cheaper than last night's Streamline - Dollars for Pounds, more or less!

If you just go off pure shave quality, then you may be in danger of missing the point. I think it's more that factor of belonging to an exclusive club with limited membership. Shaving with something so quirky, if you will.

I've got a 1912 but I've never got a closer shave with an SE over a DE so it now sits in its box. Similarly I've owned a couple of straights and never got better shaves than a DE, so I didn't persevere. But the point is that I wanted to shave with one! I think there is an appeal to these wacky things that go beyond how smooth you can get your cheeks.

I think if people here (the masters of the straights and the SEs) were really honest, they'd say that at least part of the appeal is that the implement itself and the exclusivity is kind of cool.

And then the Valet Auto-Strop arrived! Now that IS wacky!

I shaved with a 1912 on my birthday, rather cool to use a 100 year old razor. Today with a 1950s Gem bullet. I shall have a go with the Valet, just to say I did it. I can and have shaved with a few very weird razors - whoppee!

I'm reminded of very early marine diesel engines - what were they thinking? But while those wacky engines and these wacky SE razors were being made and built, Gillette was selling New razors. Right from the start, he got it nearly right.

So the object of using SE razors is to look at them on the shelf and be able to impress yourself by knowing you shaved with them? Methinks the user has to be as wacky as the razors!

So yes! I miss the point. I shave to get a smooth, comfortable face, impress the girls with enhanced good looks and for the joy of handling precision tools! These wacky bent plate razors fail to impress me - cheap tin trays.

Perseverance over! That particular hope has sprung!

It's funny how different we all are. I got really good shaves with my 1912 and bog standard Gem blade.

Good enough for me to continue using it, that's for certain.

Can happily say that I moved on to SEs after over half a century during which I've used Des, cartridges, disposable & disposable head razors and a couple of open straight razors purely because I love the performance. "Quirkiness" per se isn't of gr8 value in the JohnnyO household, should any be required I can supply it without even trying. Shaving with something "different" ? Nope, I have no need to feel I'm at odds with what suits others just for the sake of it. Seems that my combination of skin, lather and beard are just well suited to my Ever Ready Streamline and long may it continue to work well for me.
As for those who've given single edge razors a go and decided, for whatever reason(s) that it's not going to be the best for them at least you've scratched that itch and can move on (or return to) other kit which suits better. Like anything else in shaving, what works for the individual works and we all sort out our own go to combos.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Bechet45 said:
Persevere! they said. So I did.

Gem Blue Star blades fail to impress - especially in a 1912 Ever-Ready - so Gem Industrial Strength in a Gem Bullet Point was today's attempt. By the end of the second pass it was going well enough that I stuck with it for the entire shave (I've been using a Weber for the final pass to clean up the patches) and achieved an very acceptable shave. Once the Bullet Point gives up its secrets - lay back and an even lighter touch - the shave becomes acceptable for such a crude contraption. Crude for lack of blade alignment, mainly.

But I'm left wondering so far - what do others see in SE shaving that can't be beaten hands down with a Weber DE, say, and a good, sharp blade. That combo is cheaper than last night's Streamline - Dollars for Pounds, more or less!

I do not know the Weber, but an SE can take on just about any DE razor in my collection. Get great shaves out of my SE's. I always liked that the right angle has been built in the head, so you just shave away. Have heard some say that SE shaving was too easy, never that is was not effective.

Well there's a thing! Without doing the research again, I had understood that Feather SE blades fitted a Valet Auto-Strop. I failed to make it so just now, whichever way I turned it.

Which blades fit an Auto-Strop, guys?

Canuck said:
If you just go off pure shave quality, then you may be in danger of missing the point. I think it's more that factor of belonging to an exclusive club with limited membership.

Not for me. SEs just provide amazing shaves, that's all.

Poor fella just doesn't know how to use them, BTW the earliest NEW's were made in the 20's, the first Valets were early 1900's.

Bechet45 said:
And then the Valet Auto-Strop arrived! Now that IS wacky!

I shaved with a 1912 on my birthday, rather cool to use a 100 year old razor.

Not all 1912's were made in 1912. If I recall correctly, it's the year of the patent, no the year of manufacture.

Certainly, the design is 100 years old.

Ian

Bechet45 said:
Well there's a thing! Without doing the research again, I had understood that Feather SE blades fitted a Valet Auto-Strop. I failed to make it so just now, whichever way I turned it.

Which blades fit an Auto-Strop, guys?

IIRC there are two types of Valets. The feathers only fit in one...

Bechet45 said:
I shaved with a 1912 on my birthday, rather cool to use a 100 year old razor.

So the object of using SE razors is to look at them on the shelf and be able to impress yourself by knowing you shaved with them? Methinks the user has to be as wacky as the razors!

So yes! I miss the point. I shave to get a smooth, comfortable face, impress the girls with enhanced good looks and for the joy of handling precision tools!
Perseverance over! That particular hope has sprung!

I feel for you Carl,

You know, having been around for a while, I have always seen excellent reviews in those goofy things. After about five years of not screwing with one, I recently even tried a few myself. The word to describe those shaves was "meh". I don't get those things at all.

It happens buddy. We can't love every piece of shaving crap, much as we"d like to. Of course, they really are stupid razors. Always has amazed me what a strong following SE razors have. Almost like a brainwashed cult, (no offense meant of course to you goofy guys)

Count yourself lucky,

Martin

antdad said:
Poor fella just doesn't know how to use them,

Hmmm, let me try out my understanding of what you said in UK English. I know the meaning isn't always the same with Yankeetalk. You guys are so subtle.

So it sounds like you're telling Carl he's a real dumb ass, and you feel only pity and scorn for him.

How'd I do?

Back
Top Bottom