Is my neck just not cut out for it?

I work in a job where I don't need to be clean shaven every day so I usually shave only a few times a week, sometimes even just once a week. However I have decided that I'm fed up of looking messy/dirty in an unshaven manner and as a new years resolution have decided to start shaving more often.

Now this is fine on my face but my neck just won't accept me shaving say every second day.

I had a shave this morning and while the shave was fine and there was no bleeding or any painful factors, my neck became really red and bumpy.

After I shaved I applied some alum (nipped a bit but it always does) and balm and it calmed down a bit.

I have been DE shaving for a few months now and have improved all aspects of my technique so could it just be that because I've previously been shaving so little, my neck just isn't used to it?

Will it improve with time or should it be another "back to the drawing board" re: technique?

i'm just back from visiting the folks and i took my usual travel shaving kit with me

Boots soap stick
old boar brush
BiC disposable

as it was New Year and the chance of getting some kisses from the ladies was high i went for a close shave followed by some Sienna cologne ;)

the shave was a disaster, went ATG on my kneck and it was on fire, fcukin agony to be precise.
it took several applications of Proraso balm to calm it down.
i blame the razor on this occasion, i seem to be destined to not be able to go ATG on the old neck but this was the worst attempt yet

I think some razors are better at going ATG than others. For me, a Gillette Fat Handled Tech (in fact I would imagine all Techs) is by far the best ATG. Worth a try .. v cheap

BIC disposables are horrible. Can still remember one vacation in Norway, couple years back, when I ran out of Mach III cartridges, and the only thing to be had for miles was a pack of BIC disposables. Didn't shave for the rest of the vacation after a single try...

the BiC disposables have always been good enough for my usual 2 pass WTG with an odd ATG if i feel like it so i figured if they are good enough for that then ATG should be fine.

i see in one of mantics videos he says that the blades on disposables are made to a lower spec but i thought this was just a way to champion the DE cause, guess he's right after all

thanks for the hint chicken, i might investigate that after a few more trials with blade\razor combinations

Andy,

The neck is a potential minefield, and when I started shaving with a DE, (and even now, some days) if I have any issues it's on my neck.

Most necks are not flat, they're curved, so finding and maintaining a good angle is not straightforward. You have to alter the angle of the razor to maintain the correct angle between blade and skin,

Also, on one spot on my neck I have a "swirl" growth pattern, which is also tricky to deal with, as hair grows in every direction in that place.

Ian

I hear you on the "Swirl" issue mate except mine isn't a swirl. There is a spot about half an inch squared on the right hand side of my adams apple and the hair just grows into a point in the middle meaning that whichever way I run my razor I will always be ATG at some point. I always take extra care at that point.

The neck area is tricky, soft supple skin coupled with course hair and usually in a funny directions, mine is horizontal on one side.

If I do a downward pass everywhere, that means I'm going XTG on my neck area straight away and that is too severe.
If over tighten the skin to make it easier to shave that can also lead to ingrown's and irritation.

So for the first couple of passes genuinely go WTG until it low enough to go XTG, that means shaving from nose to ear and vica versa.
I try and keep all that neck and skin stretching to a minimum, you have to do it with straights but then you only need one or two passes.
I don't generally bother going ATG myself but if I do it will usually be on the fourth pass. IanM has also mentioned the difficulty in maintaining correct blade angle over contours and different directions, it's true it is difficult.

If you want a fairly fool proof ATG on neck, an adjustable on a low setting or very mild razor with a "sharp" blade should help. If you can't help going ATG because of the pattern of growth just take the greatest of care it's not worth the aggro for a few hours of smoothness, a couple of gentle passes will just have to do, after a week or two of a hopefully irritation free neck you might be able to pull another pass.

Alcohol also does it for me when it comes to calming irritation, I like the bite but it's not for everybody. When it stops biting I know I'm good but then I stink to high heaven. ;)

You're definitely not alone Andy. In my case the bit in the middle is never any trouble, but either side of my neck is a nightmare area of confused growth patterns and sensitive skin. I just have to go easy and call it a draw. Things are rather better with a straight strangely enough, but I'm not prepared to do that every day, at least not till I'm more confident.

I used to sort of have this problem on my neck. It grows in a strange direction, growing up but to the side.
I get/got little red bumps on that side of the neck.
I split my neck in half, and shave from the middle of the neck, down and out. Do that on both sides. Then on the second pass go straight down. 3rd pass is a gentle ATG pass, going from the outside of the neck into the middle of the neck. If that makes sence?
It wasnt too bad when i used Derby blades, but then i went onto Astra blades and its fine. Gives me a very smooth neck with no irritation.
Although going by the sound of your neck, its possibly more complicated.

The neck is the most unforgiving area of all.

I suggest going back to newb mode and eliminate all variables:

Use the same razor, same, blade, same soap or cream and dont alter your prep.

Then you can focus purely on your shave, blade angle, pressure and the like.

For me I usually only go south-north on my lower neck (2 passes) and maybe a little touch up after a rinse feeling my way with soapy fingers and a little very light buffing.

I have a problem with the whole neck area - if I'm very careful I can get a decent shave, but then run the risk of a shirt collar rubbing and irritating all day. For that reason I tend to stick with just a single light pass on the neck area most days. As long as you can't see the stubble I'm happy!

Smell The Glove said:
Use the same razor, same, blade, same soap or cream and dont alter your prep.

Then you can focus purely on your shave, blade angle, pressure and the like.

This sounds like good advice to me. :shave

I only now tend to get some neck irritation if I 'push' it ATG. If in doubt, leave that final pass out! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom