Ironic Smiley

If such a thing exists, would it be possible for there to be a smiley that indicates a tongue-in-cheek intention or that the poster is speaking ironically.
Or will "wink" just have to do?
Addendum:-
Oh, and while you're at it, Boab - could you include one of those Turd images so that people can express disapproval without using any nasty words?

I use the ;) smiley which I hope is understood to indicate a cheeky/mischievous post. I agree that a 'TIC' smiley could at times be handy, especially for a shining wit* such as Sir Prize!

*Actually can we have one for malapropisms too please?

Cig Pat said:
*Actually can we have one for malapropisms too please?

That's a spoonerism (where two letters/sounds are switched in a phrase), not a malapropism - a malapropism is when you use an incorrect (usually comical) word/term that sounds similar... and to be a proper one the resulting phrase should also be nonsense. There's one we use a lot in this house, but at this ungodly hour on a Sunday, I can't recall what it is.

hunnymonster said:
That's a spoonerism (where two letters/sounds are switched in a phrase

Well spotted HM - named after the Oxford academic Dr Spooner.
His most famous "spoonerism" was uttered during Queen Victoria's Jubilee celebrations, when he arose at High Table to propose the health of "Our queer old Dean"

And also Oxymorons:
Taking a violent liking and being in the heights of depression.
Also feeling profoundly elevated.

(thanks Arrowhead)

There's a great essay but Kingsley Amis about how women (mis)use English, often by mixing up well-known phrases.

My mum (for whom English is a second language) said someone "looked like death rolled-up." She also said she "wouldn't trust him with a bargepole"

:?

Back
Top Bottom