Ipads - worth it?

Android tablet.
Unlike iPad :
You're not stuck with 1 app store.
Preinstalled apps that you don't like can always uninstalled witd ADB without the need to root or jailbreak
More choice of apps.

Chromebook, looks nice, can run Android apps, but everything is stored in the cloud.
ChromeOS can be replaced by ChromiumOS or a regular Linux distribution.

Iv just bought an Alienware i7 for gaming only and i’ll use my Macbook for everything else.
What do you mean i7 is ok apart from the most demanding games ?
i Thought the i7 was the best ?
My i7 is few years old now, I bet your new i7 would run rings around mine solely due to chip improvements. (y)

My wife has had several tablets over the years. The Samsung tablets she had started to slow down after 2 years and continued to decline in performance. Then she switched to an iPad and has never looked back. Performance, speed and ease of use is vastly superior and does not deteriorate with age.
They are the best tablets out there.

I'm not so sure about the longevity of iOS on iPads, and thus whether apps will continue to work on them. I've got a 4th generation iPad, which is at iOS 10.3.3 and will not update beyond that, as the machine architecture won't support any later OS version. It still does a fair bit of what I want, albeit a bit slowly and with some appalling rendering of web pages, but a considerable number of apps, paid and free, no longer work. For example, Firefox is my preferred browser across all devices (iOS and Windows), but I can't synchronise it to the iPad. Other things just don't work-end of.

There is no doubt that iPads are excellent devices, and the new models are quite something. However, they aren't cheap, and I quite like something which may become an old OS but does so without killing off apps. I must say that I'm surprised at this aspect on the iPad, as I have a long-outdated iPhone SE (first small size model) which continues to get the very latest iOS updates.

There's masses of value-add if you are plugged into the Apple ecosystem as it will act as a second screen for any other Apple device (like an iMac), you can handoff to it (so stop whatever it is you're doing on the computer and carry on while you walk around the house) and it can act as a HomeKit hub for home automation.

Since your predominant use sounds like you just want a small format laptop without a keyboard but with a touchscreen, I'd say no ...

Remind me, you've already got a Chromebook right? I'd say a (cheaper) Android tablet would be both more familiar and more use. Even without the rest of the Apple ecosystem around you, the iPad is a very excellent tablet but you're likely to underuse it significantly and/or get frustrated that the Apple apps will behave in ways that you're not used to.

Just checking ... email? Webmail or via an app? Not that it matters, just that the "everything in the browser" approach from ChromeOS is really sound for most people. I think you'd be a lot more at home with the Lenovo Duet.

If you were to go back towards a Microsoft machine, Surface is very nice to use and Windows 10 is quite mature now - you get the Edge browser (which is based on Chromium, the open source behind Chrome) and could easily do everything there. Windows is being left behind on the app front (nobody credible does old-style Win32 applications, it's iOS and Android for literally everything you buy now that you'd want to integrate and interface with from your portable computer), where a ChromeOS tablet will do the Android app (albeit from satisfactory to badly, in my experience of ChromeOS). If you were spending Surface money, I'd say go for an iPad instead.

Again, I think you'd be a lot more at home with the Lenovo Duet.

HTH.
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Bought a Lenovo Duet 128gb with a £100 off in a Black Friday Sale. Thought it would be rude not too. Makes sense to try Chrome OS as it fits in with the other Google services I use.

Back
Top Bottom