Introduction and what is this?

Hi all,

Firstly let me introduce myself, I'm Liam and I'm just starting out in traditional shaving. Having watched Mark's YouTube videos I was hooked.

I was getting some very serious razor burn on my neck when I usually shaved with the stuff in cans. I could only manage to shave once every other day.

I moved to shaving cream and brush and instantly saw some difference. It was SuperMax menthol and a synthetic brush (these are what's available in Bahrain). I played with it for a while and was really enjoying it. But I was definitely going to try out a DE. I shopped at TraditonalShaving.co.uk and got their cream starter kit with a merkur progress. I also got some soap to go with it.

While I was waiting for delivery I saw a plastic (please don't react yet) DE safety razor which I bought and tried. It was . . . . good to practice with. Definitely not something to continue with in my mind. Also while I was waiting I did (to the annoyance of my understanding wife) get some more creams to try out. One of which is this (http://www.nazih.com/category_4.php?productno=2063). It's made under licence from Canada and I was wondering if anyone else had seen it and if so what's their take on it. I have found it to be pretty nice to use.

On Monday my Merkur arrived and I have been using it over the past couple of days. I must say the first thing I did was to throw away the plastic razor. I'm using a gentle setting and it is smoothest shave I have ever had. I'm still learning new things about my beard that I thought I already knew.

I'm really happy I've made the switch and don't think I'll ever go back.

Welcome to the Forum Liam, you are among good company here, there is a great bunch of people on here, very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

Soon you will be like the rest of us, loads of different razors, blades, brushes, creams, soaps

Welcome to the club

Steve
(sunburyboy93)

Welcome, that looks like a fairly standard shaving gel. Once you are used to building lather with traditional soaps and creams you should see an even greater improvement in your shaves.

Good to meet you Cfencer \ :D / That's a nice package you've started with I believe. As you go along you'll probably fine tune it a bit like most of us do. At some point a sample package of various blades from Connaught Shaving (I have no connection with them or any other supplier) could be a good investment to give you an idea of how the Merkur & your skin / beard combo react to other blades. Since we're all just in the business of getting a good shave and enjoying it there really isn't any gr8 machismo contest in this forum about what settings we find best for an adjustable, so what is best for you is best for you. My own Progress lives at just under 2.5

Glad you're onboard & look forward to some more updates.

JohnnyO.

@ JohnnyO,

I have got a blade selection from Connaught also with some other items.

@ Sunburyboy

I have 8 creams, one soap, and one gel. I have 3 brushes, 2 synthetic and 1 badger. Don't tell my wife but I have my eye on another brush.

@everyone else - thanks for the warm welcome!!

Welcome Liam,

Definitely work on the soap mixing, the DE technique will also improve. With the Merkurs a light touch and smooth strokes yield the best results for me.

Many of the vendors here will ship internationally so you should be able to get what you need, if not just ask and one of us will post it out to you. For the first few weeks just try to get a consistent result, it is harder than it sounds but once you have that down you can try different things and see if it improves or worsens your shave.

Arrowhead said:
nice to hear from you again Sir Prize, your absence has been a source of speculation.
How very kind.
My absence has been due to a "technical itch" that may shortly be resolved.(I send this from my neighbour's whos PC I am presently using).
As to the speculation, I utterly refute the suggestion that I have been spotted in Helmand province behind a full beard - the very idea!

Back
Top Bottom