Injector blades/razors

What exactly are injector blades/razors? I've done a bit of searching on the internet but never really grasped how they work. They all seem to look like a cartridge with a needle sticking out of it.

What sort of razors use these and what do people think of them over DE shaving?

I recently used one of these and i imagine they could be very unforgiving if you have poor technique,i'm not saying i have a good technique i just took it very slowly and careful,it returned a close shave which was a bit too close for me as my face was left with a little irritation afterwards.
You are welcome to borrow it if you like,i have a cartridge with about 7 new blades in which i can also send.

Dave.

Here is a nice vid..this guy does alot more samples of various razors
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz5natnzofY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz5natnzofY</a><!-- m -->
Personally I dont ever want one because you have to constantly rinse and shave more often than a DE or anything else..I believe its because they dont hold much lather..if any

Blades

Hiya,

Maybe I can help explain the deal with injectors. Years ago that was my go to razor, and the shaves were close and very comfortable. It also made the switch to a DE really easy, which is a big bonus.

Injectors are a lot like a DE in some ways. Not all of em shave the same, and not all blades perform the same as well. There's gonna be some trial and error finding the right combo if you're looking for the best possible results. Some injectors are aggressive and some aren't, and you gotta try a few to compare em. The earlier models with short handles are gonna have more of a bite than the later versions with a different head design. Each type has their fans.

If there's a weakness in the system, it would be the blades . The currently made ones range anywhere from fair to good, at least to me anyway. There's maybe 5-6 brands here in the US, and some are even sold in drug stores. Probably the better of em are the Schick blades made in China(not the German ones).

Best blades I found were vintage ones and those are what I used all the time. Heh, matter of fact I still have a 72 blade stash of NOS injector blades from the 70s. The Chinese Schick blades are good, but some vintage blades work better for me and some other people as well.

The shave itself is a fair bit different than a DE shave. The injector weighs about nothing, so some pressure is needed over the rough spots. The blade will sometimes need a little help to keep from chattering, and you need to learn that little bit of technique of bearing down.

The injector blade is lots stiffer than a DE, and it feels different with no flex. Not bad......just different. It takes a few times to figure things out when first using an injector, but not long if you're already using a DE razor. They can bite if provoked, but normally are an effective and comfortable way of whacking whiskers.

I included a few pics, with one showing what the injector blade looks like. Hopefully you can see it just has the one sharp single edge, which makes it a SE razor. My favorite injector model turned out to be the Schick adjustable. I liked being able to dial in the correct level of aggression, just as I do a DE razor. The other two short handle versions are an 'E and G type (both too aggressive for me). Heh, I also posted a few vintage and sought after blades, just in case you see any around.

Well, that's a start. If I can answer some other questions I'll be happy to try. I've used most of the injectors made, plus a good number of blades in the past. I had great luck with injectors and would be using em again if I ever quit the DE for some reason. I still take the Schick out for a drive on occasion and always enjoy the ride.

Martin

Attachments

• Injector blades 001.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 125
  • Injector blades 002.jpg
  • E&G 001.jpg
Blades said:
C'mon quit...lol...more like upgrade to the almighty str8 razor!... :lol:

B

Hi there,

Thanks for trying to drag me down yet another bottomless hole. Heh, it's been tried before but I've managed to resist so far. Having to learn a totally new technique is bad enough, but that honing and stropping crap is another can of worms. No thank you.

Heh, just because I don't use a straight doesn't mean I don't have a few in the arsenal. There's a Puma and a DD Satin edge floating around with a few others. I've just never cleaned em or had em honed.......

I appreciate the post though,

Martin

Takes 1 year on the average to "weild" a straight razor..stropping isnt complicated so long as you get the hang of it..slow n steady is the key and BBS..can easily be achieved
The only problem is RAD!..then they get pricey and you end up with hundreds of them sitting in yer bathroom on shelve's n such...having your roomates and friends wonder what the hell is your razor affliction about :lol:

B

Thanks to everybody for all your responses.
I'm looking through all the links everyone's provided me with now, and the anecdotal stuff is just as useful for me even if MMMV.
I've watched a video showing how the injector is loaded, which is quite cool and looks a bit dangerous (the old blade flying out the side).

I may take trainman up on his very kind offer once I've received an played with my new toys (Ever Ready (with PIFd single edge blades courtesy of JohnnyO) and a Rolls Imperial).

There are plenty of helpful, generous enablers on this shaving addiction forum!

Blades said:
Takes 1 year on the average to "weild" a straight razor..stropping isnt complicated so long as you get the hang of it..slow n steady is the key and BBS..can easily be achieved
The only problem is RAD!..then they get pricey and you end up with hundreds of them sitting in yer bathroom on shelve's n such...having your roomates and friends wonder what the hell is your razor affliction about :lol:

B

Hi there,

So it 'only' takes a year to figure those things out eh? We're talking about maybe 300+ shaves I'm guessing. Plus then I run the risk of having yet one more AD to deal with.

Man, you make it tough to say no. I must be nuts to be passing up such a swell new 'hobby'.

Martin

:)
I need to ban myself from this damn forum!
I've spent more in the last week on shaving stuff than I did all last year, and I've been DE shaving for two years!

It's always "Oh, I'll JUST get ONE MORE thing... oh, that looks interesting, too!"

Yes well..
depends..most well trained experts will tell you...who told me "try to use it everyday"..this will allow you to get quicker/easier as far as which way to do what...gets your time cut in half..20minutes after about a year..than the beginning 1 hour
PM if you have any more questions

Blades

+ 1 on what "Dodgy" Martin wrote about the injectors. I like my Schick, however it really does have to be rinsed clean at virtually every stroke. If you like the Ever Ready then were I you I'd stick with that for an SE NTS, it's a far better all round tool IMO.

I'm now kinda watching for a very, very big BST from you in about 6 months when you have your first (of many) clearouts !

JohnnyO. :p

Back
Top Bottom