Ingredients you wouldn't be without.

Smoked Paprika, hot or sweet, I've tried a few and this particular brand comes out on top, available at most supersheds for a couple of quid and lasts for ages , poke a few holes in the top and use it as general seasoning for pork, chicken, soaps, stews, eggs whatever I am addicted to this stuff.

Pimenton de la Vera

images

I second that recommendation with enthusiasm. We always try to have green Tabasco in stock as a straightforward upgrade to anything involving cheese, and a multiplicity of other livening up purposes.

Don't think I've ever heard of Aromat but sounds interesting plus they have changed the formula of my usual Knorr stock cubes and I don't like em.

Vegetable Oil - Spice Extracts with Celery - Mushroom Extract - Herbs - Garlic Powder - Onion Powder - Yeast Extract - Salt - Flavour Enhancer - Lactose (from milk) - Wheat Starch -
It is also suitable for vegetarians.

antdad said:
Don't think I've ever heard of Aromat but sounds interesting

Used to be like RHS* to get a hold of in the UK, I was getting mine sent from South Africa :lol: Then Waitrose started selling it about 4 years ago and now even Asda sell it. It's usually hiding in amongst the herbs and spices. It's the best salt substitute there is for chips.

Another one to add to the list is Mrs H.S. Ball's Chutney - another South African product, readily available in Waitrose (unless I've just been in to re-stock, in which case there'll be a space on the shelf).

Mrs.%20Balls%20Original%20Recipe%20.JPG

*RHS - Rocking Horse Shite

Oh yeah...Encona will do it for you.

I used to love Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning but like many shave soaps they seem to have reformulated. The new stuff
in the plastic jar is different, if you can find this in the glass jar I recommend it.

carolinasauce_2074_4649698

If not this is my new favourite Jerk, available in Asian stores and super sheds,

059627.jpg

It is HOT, you don't need much and it lasts for ever.

Strangely, though Marmite seems to polarise people, I neither love it or hate it. I wouldn't go out of my way to put Marmite on my toast, but if SWMBO has some it sometimes makes me fancy a slice. Makes my tongue tingle a bit though. Perhaps I'm allergic to something in it?! :?

antdad said:
Don't think I've ever heard of Aromat but sounds interesting plus they have changed the formula of my usual Knorr stock cubes and I don't like em.

Aromat is a ve-tsin (sodium glutamate) based mix of standard flavours. It gets old quite fast (figuratively speaking that is), but is a useful basic seasoning.

Hnek

Ingredient I wouldn't be without? Has to be onion. As either Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall or Nigel Slater said, "if you haven't got an onion in the house, stop reading this and go and buy one".

Back
Top Bottom