In the quest for the best after shave solution...

I was always on the hunt for an aftershave/moisturiser that allowed my face to breath and that didn't feel greasy, that has lead me to try a few over the years! Over six months ago I was looking on Nanny's Silly Soap website for some shaving soaps and noticed she had some ‘facial' oils for sale. I inquired as to whether they would make a suitable aftershave and one thing lead to another and shortly afterwards I received a parcel of some five 7ml oil samples to try as well as some soap.

The base oil was jojoba, which is very close to the natural oils we have in our skins, I think I'm right in saying it's actually classed as a liquid wax. Sharon mixes the base oil with a scent oil, so I had Neroli, Grapefruit, Geranium, Rose, and the odd one out was Patchouli because the base oil was Almond oil. Scent wise I loved the Neroli and Rose, but performance wise all the jojoba based oils worked the same, they were wonderfully nourishing, and were not greasy or left my skin feeling oily - you really don't need much at all.

Since then the jojoba has taken over all of my facial nourishing duties, both after shaving and maybe later in the day/evening if I feel my skin needs it. Like all good things, I ran out of my samples and got back in touch with Sharon, I'd decided out all of the scents, the neroli and jojoba was the one for me, and so I wanted a 100ml bottle of the stuff. Then Sharon suggested I might also like to try a sample of Argan oil – Liquid Gold! So my next order arrived with my neroli & jojoba oil, two shaving soaps and a 7ml sample of argan oil scented with Sandalwood.

So which was best, in the interests of shaving and science, I conducted a two-week experiment, the first week I exclusively used the Jojoba, and then last week I used just the Argan oil - both I can report are fantastic! Both disappear into the skin and leave it feeling nourished and replenished but not oily. Of the two oils, the Jojoba probably feels the most refined as it really does just sink into the skin very quickly whereas the Argan feels to me a fraction heavier, which made me wonder if that will give it the edge come the colder dryer months. During theses hot humid days I used to find the aftershave balms and creamy moisturisers would leave my face feel greasy and occasionally prickly, and this is one of the areas I think the oils win hands down, because it feels like there is nothing on my skin.

The Jojoba is probably my favourite, but it's a small margin, I reckon the best solution is to have both that way I can go with which ever I feel like, and I think it probably isn't a bad idea to use different things every now and then. I've grown to appreciate the sandal wood scent but I'm not sure it's for me, but as it's the base oil that is doing all the great stuff for your skin, you can just pair it with the scent you like!

So in conclusion, neither stood out as being amazingly better than the other, they are both fantastic, both as an aftershave and moisturiser for later in the day if needed. Very little is needed, and I'm sure my skin tone is much better and more even since I moved over to using these oils.

Chris

Good review my friend, I use nanny's eucalyptus soap myself. In terms of scent how strong are the aftershve balms I'm looking for something that I can put on and then spray a cologne and won't blend into an unpleasant stench are there any other after shave balms you could suggest,

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom