In Growing Hairs

UKRob said:
I only ever got them when I had to shave with an electric for some time - on doctor's advice because I had a neck rash that was forever being opened up with blades. However, I've always used a brush and soap and used cartridges for years - so, when other posts say they have not had them since changing to DE, I wonder if it's the change to a brush and soap preparation that really makes the difference.

I can't figure out why a sharp cartridge would make you any more prone to ingrowers than a sharp DE.

I think it's the cartridge's 'pull/cut' action that leaves the hair follicle sitting close to the skin surface (or even under). The affected hairs then curl back in, growing under the surface. The resultant 'razor bumps' then get shaved over repeatedly, causing irritation. The tendency for shavers to try to get a few extra shaves out of each cart might mean the increasingly blunt first blade only serves to pull the hair out.

harmoni said:
I think it's the cartridge's 'pull/cut' action that leaves the hair follicle sitting close to the skin surface (or even under). The affected hairs then curl back in, growing under the surface. The resultant 'razor bumps' then get shaved over repeatedly, causing irritation. The tendency for shavers to try to get a few extra shaves out of each cart might mean the increasingly blunt first blade only serves to pull the hair out.

I can see exactly what you mean with a kind of spring back effect - however, that doesn't explain why I suffered when using an electric - which was one of the rotary mower types. Actually, when I first started with a straight, I got razor bumps just in one area - I don't think they were in growing hairs even though they had all the same appearances. It must have been due to technique because they soon went. I now use a hot flannel and pre-shave cream every day with fantastic results. So, very open pores and a really close shave should be a potential problem, but not so. Maybe it's down to using an astringent, witch hazel, that closes the pores is the answer.

UKRob said:
I can see exactly what you mean with a kind of spring back effect - however, that doesn't explain why I suffered when using an electric - which was one of the rotary mower types. Actually, when I first started with a straight, I got razor bumps just in one area - I don't think they were in growing hairs even though they had all the same appearances. It must have been due to technique because they soon went. I now use a hot flannel and pre-shave cream every day with fantastic results. So, very open pores and a really close shave should be a potential problem, but not so. Maybe it's down to using an astringent, witch hazel, that closes the pores is the answer.

Only used an electric for short spells, many years ago, but I recall it was hopeless for coping with the hairs on my lower neck that grew parallel to the skin, thus I'd end up going over the area many times, and by the time I put the razor down, the lower neck area was inflamed (and not well-shaved!). But yes, as you say, a decent prep is a great help in lessening the risk of ingrowns.

harmoni said:
UKRob said:

Only used an electric for short spells, many years ago, but I recall it was hopeless for coping with the hairs on my lower neck that grew parallel to the skin, thus I'd end up going over the area many times, and by the time I put the razor down, the lower neck area was inflamed (and not well-shaved!). But yes, as you say, a decent prep is a great help in lessening the risk of ingrowns.

I had the exact same problem with electrics. Hence the DE turn.

Back
Top Bottom