I'm not racist but...

Those cold callers really annoy me. Usually I just say I really resent people ringing me at home when I haven't given them my number, and could they please pass that onto their superiors. I feel sad that someone has to do this for a job......but call me old fashoined, as far as I'm concerned people shouldn't be phoning my number unless I have given it to them personally.
Yes, I await responses about how careful I should be about who I give my number to.....but I do think you should be able to give your number to your utility provider without constantly getting cold calls; and I also think you should be able to phone them on your insurance contract to tell them that the boiler has broken down, and just be able to sort it, without being put through to the sales dept. And yes, BT and BG are top of the list of offenders.

Speaking Welsh to them can be fun but you may not have that luxury. One day "Jeff" from India will reply in Welsh.

I'm tempted to say, "wait a minute, you tell the other police officer who phoned that unless the money is in my Swiss bank account in half an hour, I'm going to start pushing buttons", and then hang up quick.

I have one Christian friend who sees it as an opportunity to preach the gospel to them for as long as they are on the line.

I have asked BT to make me ex directory and not to give my number to third parties. "Tracy" from India said that there was no charge for the service. Might take a while to take effect though.

Flatfish said:
I have one Christian friend who sees it as an opportunity to preach the gospel to them for as long as they are on the line.

:shock:

Joking aside, there are limits to how we should take this. They are only doing their jobs!

:lol:

Pig Cat said:
Joking aside, there are limits to how we should take this. They are only doing their jobs!

Which may be a job working for a criminal if they're doing the mass-dialling thing without presenting their calling number and stating the name of the company calling. If they're dialling the call themselves they may be committing the offence... which bears hefty penalties.

Anyway - if the best they can come up with is a job irritating other people, why can't they just go on Big Brother like the rest of them - at least I can switch to another channel (or Radio 3)

Day off today but yesterday's list between 10am and 2:15pm was in the office and the ones I remember were:-

UK accented people
  • Water coolers (twice from the same company within 5 minutes)
    PAT testing
    Office supplies
    [/list:u]

Asian accented
    • Private healthcare
      Personal investements
      Website design
      Mobile Phones
      Merchant Authentication (Card processing I assume)
      Search engine optimisation
      2 others where I just couldn't understand what was being said[/list:u]

Add to that at least a dozen occasions when the line went dead when answered, i.e. an automated dialling system with insufficient operators. Can't be doing with people tying up my phone line when useful calls might be trying to get through.

Is there any irony in the fact that whilst I was reading the update for this I got a sales call.

Apparently I have been selected as one of 10 homeowners in the local area who have won a "free" Kitchen, Bathroom or Bedroom.

Just said I wasn't interested and hung up.

Im on the TPS and this still happens.

andyjreid said:
Apparently I have been selected as one of 10 homeowners in the local area who have won a "free" Kitchen, Bathroom or Bedroom.

Just said I wasn't interested and hung up.

You fool! What were you thinking, turning down a free kitchen, bathroom or bedroom? :shock: :roll:

I plain and simple just don't answer our home phone. If someone starts leaving a message and it's someone I like, I'll pick up. If it's anyone else I'll get back to em at a more convenient time for me :D And if it's salespeople they never leave a message anyways.

soapalchemist said:
.....but call me old fashioned, as far as I'm concerned people shouldn't be phoning my number unless I have given it to them personally.

I totally agree with this, interrupting 'my' time with a phone call, (or a door knock) is a flaming cheek in my opinion. As such I'm ex-directory and on the TPS so I don't get many calls, but when I do I don't like to rude (initially at least) as someone somewhere does at least have a job rather than join the ranks of benefit thieves..... but telling them I'm on TPS and asking for their name and business address normally see's them off pretty quick!

What annoys me most isn't the person doing their job or the fact they are trying to sell me something its the people who are trying to convince me that im getting something for free that piss me off.

Like those people who hang about outside the subway chains (they aren't employed by subway) and they ask if you like free food.................. well of course I do but you aren't offering me free food now are you?

It annoys me even more when they are really belligerent when you give them the brush off. Im 29 and if I want a subway sandwich, I'll go and buy one and this can be applied to everything you are usually offered. Household services, double glazing, kitchens etc etc.

Attero said:
Knock - Knock

Hello

Hi there! Dont worry im not trying to sell you anything..

<Slam>
Oh I hate that.

Usually followed by, "if you switch to us, you can save £60 per annum on your gas/water/electricity bill". £60? That's a tank of fuel, mate, big woopah.

I had one that said he could "save [me] hundreds of pounds on my gas bill"... at the time I was working away all week, living alone and using about £40-50 of gas a year - whole annual bill was only £180 including the standing charge.

So I said to the clipboard jockey - "when you say hundreds, you're talking about plurals of 100 rather than using hundreds to mean a tenner aren't you?"
"Oh yes" came the reply
"Well what if my gas bill doesn't actually run to multiple hundreds of pounds?"
"Everybody's has to"
"No it doesn't... some people don't even have gas..."
"They do here"
"Nope - next door but one is entirely wood-fired"
"So what will happen to these 'hundreds of pounds' that I save if my total bill doesn't exceed the saving?"
"Ermmm"
"Well mate, I'll read you your fortune, your patter is crap, you have no idea if I have gas or not, you have no idea who my supplier is - it might already be you & if it is, it won't be for much longer... oh and my taxi is here"

Back
Top Bottom