iKon Shave Craft #101 Head

p.b said:
If your M5 thread looks like the thread in post #40 then the thread on the top cap hasn't been formed properly. An M5 thread should measure 4.8mm in diameter, mine looks like the picture posted and is only 4.4mm in diameter. There are two potential problems with thread like this (especially a risk as this head is Aluminium): potential to strip the threads if you're heavy handed and secondly, cross threading.
Both these can be avoided by paying attention to the engagement of the thread and being gentle – I won't be lending my 101 head to my brother as he is neither of these! However, it was sold as blemished so I have no qualms about this for the price I paid.

I've now had five shaves with three different blades and despite this razor being slightly too mild for me I've had four lovely shaves (I was being rushed on the first shave). I've had to complete four passes: WTG, 2xXTG and ATG, to get BBS but the razor is so smooth and well balanced it's a pleasure to use for the extra pass! Personally, unlike many it appears, I like having two different sides to the head but for me I'd like one (preferably the open comb) to be notably more aggressive than the other so that I could go WTG and XTG with the more aggressive side and then finish on the gentler side ATG. On this head both side seem pretty similar in terms of aggressiveness. For me the straight bar is spot-on but for this razor to be perfect I would like the open comb would be a bit more aggressive so I could do fewer passes.

I hope Greg offers this head with the option to up-grade the handle to a matte finish Bulldog handle rather than only offer it with the cheaper shiny ShareCraft handle. The colour and finish matching between the head and the matte handle is very nearly perfect, and to my eyes, this is the best looking modern DE available – bar none. The finish also looks and feels very classy, very refined. It really does look that good to me.

I think that for those who like a milder razor or for those new to DE shaving who have the funds / wiliness to spend more than the normal £20-25 on an Edwin Jagger / Muehle this is a wonderful razor with very high pride of ownership - strongly recommended. I'll be keeping my blemished head!

Paul

Agree with everything you said Paul. The head is sintered aluminum and the Shave Craft handle is 316 stainless so both don't match. I have a slightly distorted top cap stud so the handle is tricky to screw on besides its a little wobbly until its tightened down. I have been using a Weber bulldog handle which has a much better fit and doesn't wobble. Its impossible to tell the difference between the Shave Craft and Weber handles when placed side by side except the threads on the Weber have better tolerances. After all is said and done the shave is pretty good if not aggressive.

The dual head is lost on me as I find both sides to similar to each other. I would have preferred a bigger difference between the 2.

The head has the same finish as my other Ikons. It matches the OSS handle perfectly.

I absolutely agree that handles to match the head would be good - and by 'handles' I mean Classic and Bulldog sizes.

The OSS handle matches for colour but not feel and I doubt one can buy an OSS handle by itself. Weber ARC handles work well, too.

iKon OSS "long" can be had from(Connaught Shaving) @ £31.20p say's these are seconds, I bought one of these and I cannot find a fault....... + get 10% discount with Connaught being a TSR member.

Charles U.K

Excellent............. glad you got one, sorry I forgot re "Discount" as I ordered a R41 Grande. Then swopped the Grande handle for the OSS, works great for me.

Charles U.K

I just used my Shavecraft head.

Mixed feeling to be honest.

Bit of feedback, if you want to cover the whole blade so the ends aren't showing, make the tolerance tighter on the pegs or at least give us 1mm to allow hassle free adjustment. I found it a pain to set the blade equal.

As a result of this, I have no idea if it was set right so due to time had to carry on with the shave.

The result? It's close, but there is slight irritation due to me doing close to 4 passes rather than my regular 3 on the cheeks and 2 on the neck. I also couldn't tell the difference between the two sides?

Jury is still out on this one, a few shaves in and potentially with a bit of getting used to it could be a great razor. Potentially.

Again we come up wit blade adjustment! Am I missing something by believing the razor should do that for us? So thhe tight pegs in the 101 are absolutely right for me. Chuck in a blade, nip it up, set to go.

Both sides are equally - equal. I have shaved one side of my face per one side of the razor and found, well, they were equal. I had to resist an urge to press with the OC side just because I believe it should get closer - but it doesn't. This is why I say it's a great newbie razor and may get boring in a small rotation.

However ........ when I put an OSS handle on it in place of an old (narrow) iKon Classic handle, the razor suddenly grew cajones. Not as big as Vinny's, of course, but cajones. The extra weight gave it heft, manned it up - didn't improve the shave but it definately felt more ballsy.

My observations to be honest were when you look at the blade very closely.

If I just stick the blade in and tighten up, it's off on too much to one side.

What blades are you using it with Carl?

Re the adjustment, I'm used to chucking the blade in, it being straight automatically and away I go. I always give it a quick look though just incase.

As for a razor for a newb? Personally on my one shave, a Merkur head shaves much better. This ikon provides a nice change of pace to that though.

Dipesh said:

My standard test-a-new-razor blade - the superb and fabulous, well sharp enough but utterly forgiving (describes my ideal woman, too!) - Gillette 7 O'clock Green. Smooth and comfortable. Pity they can't cook, really. The blades, I mean!! Obviously!

Bechet45 said:
Dipesh said:

My standard test-a-new-razor blade - the superb and fabulous, well sharp enough but utterly forgiving (describes my ideal woman, too!) - Gillette 7 O'clock Green. Smooth and comfortable. Pity they can't cook, really. The blades, I mean!! Obviously!

I'll give these a run next. I think it may solve this issue.

So today's shave. New Astra blade.

Not a bad shave in all honestly.

From last time, both sides felt the same. Today the OC had some more bite.

BBS in 3 passes and the smallest bit of touch up. I think this is due to the more aggressive Oc side. It will be interesting if this changes though as I just plonked the blade in and away I went. We shall see if it self aligns and this is how it shaves.

Back
Top Bottom