I thought it about time...

...That I did the hello post,
I've been reading this forum for quite some time (after reading about, via another place, FPN, yes ...I have a fountain pen problem) and got round to joining up last week.

I had used a DE (my dads old Gillette) on and off for some years,
but never bothered to look hard for new blades, and thinking that they would not be easy to get, and gave up some time back.
Just used the basic Bic single blade orange handle things, but could not get away from the brush and soap.
Tinned foam never did my face any favours, and my mum found some NOS Culmak badger brushes quite some time back in some shop, I got one and the others went round the older family members and a few friends.

I also have a few of the basic Wilkinson sword brushes that I have grown quite attached to, one did shead every time I used it but a rubber band round the bottom of the strands has help no end. It works really well with some "De Vergulde Hand" stuff in a blue tub I came back from Belgium with that has been very good (not seen it over here as yet), as well as some Polish soap stick, like the Palmolive shape, that I think I got in Spain that is ok.

But after reading in here and other places, and since seeing in most places I stop to look at their shave stuff,
I got a stick of the Palmolive, and very impressed I have been for the 40 odd pence I gave.

As for real DE metal I got a few "Velvet" DE's for a couple of quid each, they look like 'ball end' Gillettes I believe, and I think are a Wollworths copy from the 1920's from what I have read.
As well as a few other cheap basic DE's while I have been waiting for a nice Gillette adjustable safety razor to come up via Ebay, or some other place.

I had used the DE blades from Tescos, while I had some 7 o'clocks (same as the blades with my dads Gillette, but his being made in England, these Russia) in the post, not really impressed with the Tesco blade.
But the 7 o'clocks are great, as well as some Super max Stainless, which I got 50 to my door for £2.30 'ish this week and plan to use for the second time today.

Sorry RB,
I thought that I had made the FPN the link, but not... sorry.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum</a><!-- m -->

But dont blame me if you end up with all of the pens and ink like I did,
I had managed with this one multi coloured fountain pen I found in a car I got some ten plus years back,
that I think is some sort of kids, er, student pen, but it writes like a dream.

In the last 18 months 2 years I have got another 20 plus, with 2 new, well old, I think `50's, Pelikan 120's
got for a steal a few weeks back from Ebay, that I had just got both apart and one working well last night.

Cheers for the info on the Tesco blades, I almost sent a PM for some of the Personnas in the buy|sell forum.

Are they the same ? or made to Tesco spec ?? i.e. not so good ?

don't think they're the same but then I haven't used a Tesco Personna for ages.
I will have to try some of the real, or should I say branded Personnas at some point,
because I cant really point the finger at the Tescos blade 100%,
I had never used the 'Velvet' DE before and I had been using the Bic things for a good 2 years, so the action could be different and its just taken me a few weeks to get into it, because IMO I get a great, if not better shave with these Velvet's than ever before.

I will have to sort out a picture as I have not been able to find any real info out about them, apart from the Woolworths thing which I also saw from the box I got with one has one of their boxes with it.

Someone might know about them, there seems to be loads on Ebay for quids,
and with a good blade they seem to give a really great shave.

Hello & welcome Lenny, yeah, the Palmolive sticks are unbelieveable value @ 50p in our local Morrisons. I always have a couple in case I'm away for a day or three. They really do perform & at that price if I mislay one somewhere it wont break the bank.

JohnnyO. \ :geek:

Back
Top Bottom