I really don't like Baileys...

I'm a bit of a girl. I don't like men's drinks like whiskey or beer, but a Baileys will do nicely. Actually, I shun alcohol in favour of life-giving Coke. Unfortunately I quickly become addicted to the stuff so limit myself to Christmastime. Just had a can - hmmmmm!!! :hungrig

PC, you like raw Baileys and look forward to drinking Cola, that's nothing to be proud of...you can act like a man. *virtual slap*

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbZEkFLXh9Y[/youtube]

antdad said:
PC, you like raw Baileys and look forward to drinking Cola, that's nothing to be proud of...you can act like a man. *virtual slap*

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbZEkFLXh9Y[/youtube]

:cry:

This brings back memories of chats with my own Father. I was always telling him to act like a man...

hando said:
granny's drink

Not mine (either of them)

One was a fan of white port... nothing odd in that, but she was 4'7" tall and drank it in a half-pint tumbler, bottle lasted her about 2 hours - tops.

The other was a Gin & Dubonnet fan, like HM the Queen - again it wasn't served in poncy little thimbles.

Both of them would possibly have used Baileys on their cornflakes if the milkman hadn't turned up.

Incidentally I had a recipe somewhere to make an "Irish Cream Liquer" - was dead simple - Irish whiskey, cream and some unspeakably gloopy chocolate syrup from what I remember... for the adventurous you could make a Scotch Cream Liquer in a similar fashion...

antdad said:
Pig Cat said:

This brings back memories of chats with my own Father. I was always telling him to act like a man...

...you mean you actually got to talk to your father?

:lol: That was a bit of a joke (what!! PC making jokes?? :eek: ) My Pop is still alive and kicking, and though I can't talk to him about some things, at least I know he'll be there when the crap hits the fan. :p

Pig Cat said:
antdad said:
Pig Cat said:

...you mean you actually got to talk to your father?

:lol: That was a bit of a joke (what!! PC making jokes?? :eek: ) My Pop is still alive and kicking, and though I can't talk to him about some things, at least I know he'll be there when the crap hits the fan. :p

Wow. There's a world of pain hidden in this thread. OK, so it's a late Winter afternoon. Dark and cold out. A few drinks have been had. So . . .

Tony: could you really not talk to your dad? How does that feel? I'm guessing you're not OK with it. And if you could, what what you say to him now?

Adam: it sounds like there are things you'd like to be able to tell you dad or maybe have him tell you. Anything in particular?

As for me, well I have trouble respecting my dad sometimes. He was ace over the Summer when I was horribly ill but he winds my wife and kids up - and I'm ashamed to say - me too, sometimes.

No there's no pain here...my tongue is firmly in my cheek Rev although I did not mean to intentionally sadden PC. I could tell you about the time my father tried to hang me by rope, clouted me with a 2 X 4 or put a live hedge hog in my bed, ate my pet rabbit, ate my neighbours cat, hung his own dog, split my head open with a glass ash tray and so on.

I'm not going to start feeling sad or indulging myself in the memory's of a relationship that might have been, there's nothing I can do about it now or then and that is really my point. Those of us that are drunk on our own DNA (i.e father's) start getting dewy eyed at this time of year...just stop it.

Rev-O said:
Adam: it sounds like there are things you'd like to be able to tell you dad or maybe have him tell you. Anything in particular?

Wow, don't know about Baileys but it feels like we're having a chat during a late-night drinking session!

My Dad is great. I expect compared to most Fathers he is way up there, but he does have his faults. Mainly these have been exposed since my first-born came along. It changed my life and made me want to be the best dad I could be. It made me think about my own childhood and parents, especially my Mum. Now don't get me started on her... :shock:

When I had kids I suddenly forgave my parents everything. When I was born mum was 20 and my dad was 24, they were kids themselves. Growing up I thought they were gods - knew everything, were always right, always strong and always good. But having my own kids made me see that they were just like me - younger, in fact, and poorer. They did their best and that's what matters.

I guess I went from them being my childhood idols to thinking them "rubbish" as a teenager to suddenly re-evaluating and appreciating them when I became a parent myself. Now, though, my dad can embarrass and annoy me in way that makes me uncomfortable - partly at his behaviour and partly at my reaction. Nothing major I guess I just want him to be more paterfamilias, more gravitas, more decorum. Sometimes he like a kid, and not in a good way. But maybe better that than cold and distant.

Also, I know he's there for me, unconditionally. He's very good like that. No judgement, no hesitation, he'd drop everything and help in any way he could.

So all in all I've got nothing to complain about really. Top parents, top brothers, top wife, top kids.

A part of me doesn't really want to go and stay with my parents over new year but it's only 48hrs and the kids'll love it. Ideas of duty, honour and respect means I'll swallow my own agenda and go. And anyway, you never know how long you or others have got left, nor when you might see them again. Make the most of it and all that.

Back
Top Bottom