I am brushless

Pig Cat said:
How about this one?

That is very good of you to offer such a fine antique brush (is the handle silver ?) ,how could anyone refuse such a magnanimous gesture .
In fact it would be churlish not to shave with it every day :)

henkverhaar said:
antdad said:
The Americans don't get all the nice brushes.

No they don't indeed ;-)

I'm intrigued by these custom brushes, but to be honest wooden handles have never really appealed to me.....

I'm also unsure where these knots originate from. Are they as good as the knots the famous brands make by hand?

I was mainly referring to all the nice Rooneys on the Vintage Blades and Classic Shaving sites. We get "Silvertip" at best from Executive Shaving. Humph.

jhclare said:
Panic not, Gentlemen!

This situation is only temporary.

I have yet to decide. I've bought and used some wonderful brushes, and I've learnt a lot.

My tastes have changed of late. I used to be a die-hard small brush/face latherer. I don't use a bowl or scuttle. I started to find that small badgers (or any boar) just didn't hold enough heat or lather for the number of passes I do.

The nearest I've come so far to my perfect brush is my Stubby 2 (antand - wanna sell me it, hint hint)? :mrgreen:

Closely followed by the Chubby 2 in Super (Simfix).

Brushes that I have yet to try:

• Any Kent
  • Any Shavemac (but are they going to be that different to Savile Row?
  • Any Plisson
  • Any two-band[/list:u]

I'm going to pop down to Jermyn Street when I have some cash (and a very long beard, most likely) and check out their branded Simpsons and Rooneys. They had a Chubby style Heritage brush that looked pretty sweet!

I'm still amazed that the Americans get all our nice brushes, why can't we get the good stuff too?

John

• John

The only Kent likely to interest you will be the Kent BK8. It will hold all the lather you will need but it is a silvertip which is not as floppy as it looks but will be nowhere near as firm as the Stubby 2 (but that is exceptional)
    Shavemac silvertip 177 is a fine brush that holds a lot of lather but does not have the sort of backbone you appear to like.
    Plisson silvertips are luxurious but will also be too soft for you.
    Everyone should try at least one 2 band. Firmer than silvertip, but just as soft.

jhclare said:
henkverhaar said:
antdad said:

No they don't indeed ;-)

I'm intrigued by these custom brushes, but to be honest wooden handles have never really appealed to me.....

I'm also unsure where these knots originate from. Are they as good as the knots the famous brands make by hand?

I was mainly referring to all the nice Rooneys on the Vintage Blades and Classic Shaving sites. We get "Silvertip" at best from Executive Shaving. Humph.

Custom brush makers use knots of the same quality used by the main brushmakers - they come from the same places. The Golden Nib supply individual knots through the price ranges. You can choose one yourself and send it to your custom brush maker and specify your own loft. A custom made brush is easily the best and cheapest way of getting a top quality brush. You can have a handle turned in polyester - faux ivory - it doesn't have to be wood.

Customs come in whatever shape n size you want, at a very reasonable cost.

img1308gw.jpg

jhclare said:
henkverhaar said:
antdad said:

No they don't indeed ;-)

Wooden brushes may not appeal to you but that means more for me. I have some more on the way in red/black water buffalo horn and Spalted Heart. For now these:

fozz77 said:
Customs come in whatever shape n size you want, at a very reasonable cost.

img1308gw.jpg
Hi fozz! ...I am absolutely loving this brush, is the handle acrylic, and what colour is that called,(..if not yellow) ?? Did Henk, or Chris make it for you, or did you knock it up yourself?

spandex.. :)

Back
Top Bottom