HTC/Android Syncing

Hi Gentlemen,

I have just upgrades to a Desire HD phone. All the reviews state it is really good, so it must be me who is a dimwit.

I've just downloaded something called HTC Sync and used it to sync the contacts on my handset to outlook 2007. The numbers disappeared off my phone
and ended up in Outlook. However, half the contacts in outlook are now missing the numbers - only the names have copied! So, i've lost approx. half my numbers :x

I've never had a problem in the past when syncing with windows mobile, nokia and even motorolla!

I'm also having no luck with my htcsense.com account.

Anyway, does anyone have a surefire way of syncing with outlook or their gmail account? I rang HTC and a nice chap said not to use HTC Sync and to do this:

Go to phone contacts
Select EXPORT to SD card
Then IMPORT them from SD Card--> and click on import as 'google contact'
He said, this way my contacts will be syncd with google servers/account indefinately. After spending the best part of the last 45 mins typing my numbers back into the phone, I don't want to lose them again. Plus, won't his method result in double entries?

I'd love to be able to press a button and sync my numbers and calendar from my phone to the google people's computers. Then be able to view the entries online.

How do you guys do it?

Thank you. And, sorry if this is basic stuff, I am really finding it difficult.

RSJ

Well... all of my contacts I update in Google and they magically appear in the phone... odd times I end up with a "double" you can merge them on the phone and the change is synced back to Google mansions.

Phone contact is not the same as google contact - so once you have it all visible in google, you can delete the phone contacts... simples!

Of course I don't tend to use mine as a phone, rather as a mobile internet terminal, sat nav & GPS for tracking my walking & bike riding habits :D

Hey Gents,

A quick update. I did what the chap at HTC recommended and it all worked out. Like you, I am now syncing with the google servers.
This way looks very good - many thanks again.

For anyone interested, my prev handset saved certain numbers in fields (columns in exel sheet) that outlook could not work with/read.
So, they came up as blank. However, google's contact 'reading' method is very good.

Not good at explaining these things and I wish I was more clued up on the handset! Feel like I am not making the most use out of it's potential.

Cheers

i sync my desire with an exchange server.. so all my contacts / calendar / email come through that. In fact IMHO its only with an exchange system that these smartphones really come into their own.

google do offer a hosted exchange setup though and i would say its probably the way forward.

Any recommended resources to fully realise the devices potential?

Working my way through the user manual 'pdf' file at the mo, and it's helping a bit.

I'd love to have complete control over the phone.
View the files and folder structure and basic properties of the files...not just their names
I'd like to be able to move most apps to the SD card, perhaps Force some that don't want to be moved (some games)
Be able to charge the phone via a usb cable to pc connection
One touch/button re-boot, soft reset
would love to be able to delete some of the stock apps like Footprints etc. Phone is brand new and internal storage is only 120mb :(

oh and to make it look something like this (2nd post onwards)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/84650-show-us-your-desire-homescreens-71.html">http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/846 ... ns-71.html</a><!-- m -->

The handset is on software 2.2.

Hmmm - charge via USB would be a hardware limitation normally....

A File Manager like File Expert would let you see the properties etc. with the side benefit that you can get files on and off using a browser and by FTP.

Sadly the crudware that's on there is mostly held in the firmware image - so to get rid of those you'd be looking at a custom firmware.

This has to be the application of the century though :lol: certainly a novel use of the accelerometer :ugeek:

qrcode.png

lol. Thanks mate - Yep, i'm thinking a custom firmware. First though, I'm looking to root it. Everywhere has different instructions too.

The phone came from o2 (unlocked) but I will be using it with orange.

Back
Top Bottom