How to unstick Adjustable razors

After a lot of pain, I've stumbled across a nifty method for unsticking Gillette Adjustable.

I have a Executive FatBoy which to all intents & purposes is in very good condition except from paint missing from the dial - so I wanted to go very gentle as not to damage the plating.

The doors opened fine, but the adjuster dial only moved from 1-3, and the baseplate was completely seized in position.

After a few sessions through the ultrasonic to clean out most of the crap still no improvement. Upon looking up the shaft, it was obvious that it was full of calcium deposits (limescale).

Nice simple solution:

Leave to soak in water with CIF Bathroom Cleaner (spray not foam) to a ratio of 1:50 +/-. Being ammonia based, it quite happily chomped through all the deposits over a week leaving a sparkling razor, it did not touch the gold (or nickel where exposed). I had to insert a Bic pen lid inside the head to give it an initial shove - but it's all good now.

Question is do i repaint the numbers or not.

FrenchBlade said:
BlkKnight said:
Question is do i repaint the numbers or not.
Yes! not that hard to do.

Max

How? With what? If it's not a trade secret :)
I'd imagine using some model paint (Revell or similar) and be very accurate then wipe the excess off with a cloth & thinner... am I too far? :D

tritrek said:
How? With what? If it's not a trade secret :)
I'd imagine using some model paint (Revell or similar) and be very accurate then wipe the excess off with a cloth & thinner... am I too far? :D

Yeah, that's about it but if you wipe it off quickly with kitchen paper, you don't need the thinner - an unnecessary complication :ugeek:

FrenchBlade said:
Yep, that's it, quick and easy, no need for thinner if you're quick enough. ;)

Max

Hi Max, what is "quick enough". I think I may have been too quick when I tried and wiped some of the paint out of the numbers. How long do you leave it before you wipe?

Keith

Hiya,

One time I found a stuck Toggle and tried soaking it for hours in hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. That did exactly zero, and the dial still wouldn't budge. Finally I took a channel lock and soft cloth and very gently tried twisting the dial. Right away there was a little movement and it loosened up easily. I had no problems with it after that.

Just something to consider,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom