How to soften hair?

Hey hey, silly question time again.

I have been recommended jojoba oil to put on my face for 20 mins ish to soften hair, then ex foliate/wash ready for my normal shaving etc.

Does anyone do this, or use conditioner or anything else to soften hair?

I'd have thought that Jojoba oil might be good for the skin if applied after shaving perhaps, but I can't see how it would make an enormous difference to preparing the stubble for shaving , although one of our soapmakers or aromatherapists has greater experience of its characteristics. I use Trumper's skin food , (but then my skin is so oily adding additional oils would be like pouring SAE 30 onto an oil slick in the Persian gulf). If I was going to try any pre shave oil I'd make my first trial with Prof B's pre shave oil, or else wash with Sunburyboy's pre shave soap. However if you decide to try it plse post an update with the results.

JohnnyO. :geek:

JohnnyO said:
I'd have thought that Jojoba oil might be good for the skin if applied after shaving perhaps, but I can't see how it would make an enormous difference to preparing the stubble for shaving , although one of our soapmakers or aromatherapists has greater experience of its characteristics. I use Trumper's skin food , (but then my skin is so oily adding additional oils would be like pouring SAE 30 onto an oil slick in the Persian gulf). If I was going to try any pre shave oil I'd make my first trial with Prof B's pre shave oil, or else wash with Sunburyboy's pre shave soap. However if you decide to try it plse post an update with the results.

JohnnyO. :geek:

I dont think the jojoba would have an effect on the 'slickness' But I done some research during my hunt for a scalp psoriasis problem and its supposed to be excellent to soften hair.

Will give it a try see how it goes

antdad said:
Use soap to degrease your beard but what would oil do except waterproof your beard?

Pre oils don't soften, water does.

jojoba oil soaks in to the skin very quickly and doesnt leave any 'clag'

But like I say one of its properties is to soften hair, therefore making it easier to cut.

It is widely used as a hair conditioner to soften and repair damaged hair.

It is also an ingredient of a few pre balms and pre shaving exfoliating gels I have used.

There's a difference between making a hair feel soft and softening hair so it's easier to cut.

Conditioners “coat” your hair with the necessary agents and chemicals that react with those keratin proteins in your hair to make it “look” healthier and feel softer.

Isn't the best way of softening the hair on your face just to have a shower or use a hot (wet) towel? Or does this just benefit the skin and make it less prone to irritation? I would say the former rather than the latter. I occasionally shave with little in the way of this kind of prep and invariably regret it.

If you want to use pre "oil" to lubricate the shave or condition the skin fine, it just ain't gonna help with softening the beard. Ask Dr Henk.

Think about it, hair is more prone to breakage when its wet because it has absorbed water and the tensile strength of the hair has been compromised not when its covered in conditioner or oil. Hair is dead, it can't be "nourished" like the living but you can make it appear so.

Maybe it's the way it's written on the site then. Just thought it might have been worth a look in lol

Thanks for all the replies

Most of us go through experimenting with pre shave products however once you have mastered all the elements of a good shave you soon come to realise they are extraneous.

antdad said:
Ask Dr Henk.

To be honest, I've nothing to add to this. Hair is softened (i.e. made less tough) by water. Hair is 'softened' (i.e. given a different surface texture, creating the impression of softness and smoothness) by conditioners and oils. One is relevant for shaving, the other not. The best way to soften hair in preparation for a shave is a shower. The next best way, because it takes time, whereas the shower is being taken anyway, is hot towels, or lathering up and keeping the lather on the face for a couple of minutes before starting the actual shave. If you take the latter approach, you should probably relather before the actual shave.

I'm one of the few who uses an oil, but it's because I'm a big jessie who likes his potions, and not because it softens.
As many have said, a hot shower is ideal... 5 minutes in the steam and your beard is as soft as you can get it. I rub a bit of oil in purely because I like the smell and enjoy the "massage" aspect. Most don't bother.

antdad said:
Most of us go through experimenting with pre shave products however once you have mastered all the elements of a good shave you soon come to realise they are extraneous.

Been there, done that.

For me nowadays it's a hot bath or shower, and wash my face with whatever soap or face wash is handy.

I sell scented jojoba oil, and several men buy it (in small 7 ml bottles) and then come back and ask if I can supply a bigger size, which of course I can. Although they are all men who are also buying shaving soap, I have been reticent to ask what they're using the oil for. :oops: :lol: Although I've seen a couple posting on forums saying it's part of their SOD I'm still not sure if they are using it pre shave, or post shave. I would think that pre shave would fight with your lather if left on, and if washed off with soap, probably most of the moisturising effect would be washed off also.
Jojoba is not actually an oil, but a liquid wax; but I think it would still fight with the lather. But good for moisturising and doesn't leave a greasy slick if only a little is used. Also good to rub through damp hair if yours is like mine; dry, all over the place and untamable. A little goes a long way.

soapalchemist said:
I would think that pre shave would fight with your lather if left on

Yes, but possibly not as much as you'd imagine. As long as you are very sparing with oil or wax, lather goes on just fine on top, same as normal. I used too much oil just once, and admittedly it was a real lather killer, but a couple of drops spread thinly doesn't seem to overpower a soap or cream.

soapalchemist said:
A little goes a long way.

Absolutely. Less is more. 2, 3 drops of my T+H oil is plenty for the whole face.

Back
Top Bottom