How tight is too tight? (Razor head)

Hi All,

I know this question has been asked before, but I'm asking it again for my specific razor (Gillette 40s SuperSpeed).

I was having a shave last night, (I had let it grow since Thursday so it was quite a bush!). I was using a Gillette 7'Olock blade (in a yellow pack) and the balde says 'super sharp' on it. VERY impressed!! It gave me a clean, close, (almost) irritation free shave. Even on my chin there was no pulling.

However, there were occassions it would feel like I was just using the razor head with no blade in it. The hairs were getting caught between the blade and the top of the razor head and I would have to losen the razor to shake all the hair out.

When I tighten it up, I notice the blade bends a little bit and follows the curve of the head. If I do not tighten it up that much, the little twist at the bottom keeps getting more and more lose when I shake the razor in the water (after each pass). Sometimes the blade would take very little hair and I would have to losen/tighten it again.

Am I having the razor too tight, or just doing something obviously wrong? I can't have it too lose as the blade becomes sore to shave with (feels unsteady) and the little twist at the bottom of the handle just undoes itself and if it's too tight it seems the blade doesn't have enough room to cut through the hair. I can't seem to find ahappy medium?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Amnesia

You need to do it up finger tight. The blade should bend to the shape of the razor head and not be loose and chattering.

As for hairs getting caught - do you mean they're getting caught "above" the blade or in the gap? If it's in the gap, the answer is possibly to rinse the razor more frequently and/or more vigorously.

Robert Otten said:
JohnnyO said:
After the head snaps off the handle just re attach & take it back one quarter turn. That should do it !

JohnnyO. \ :lol:

Wow - and just look what happened to Fido's razor recently ... he was just doing as you say I guess. ;)

That was the New Forest of course, where men are men ...........................

JohnnyO. \ ;)

Back
Top Bottom