How old can a shaving cream be...

... before it goes bad? I got a Palmolive shaving cream I think is from around 1950, very cool metalic tube (I´ll post a pic later), but it has been used and approx 1/4 is gone. I don´t think you should use it, but I want too :ugeek: :lol:

Hard soap if dry stores very little in the way of bacteria, liquid soap or soap kept wet on the other hand is actually quite a good breeding ground ( NHS Infection Control research thesis 1998*). From a nasty bug point of view you should be safe ( I wouldnt use an old toothpaste, but would use an old block of coal tar soap for instance)

* I did some research on transmission of nosocomial bacteria in the ICU setting.

Thank you Father T! I guess I better not use it then ... Maybe we can send it to Mantic, I think he didn´t get any creams and it´s made in Sweden, a while ago :D
PB270004800x576-1.jpg

Dipesh said:
Can I ask how you came across a tube of cream that old?

Sure, it came with a lot of razors, the brush + a hone I bought. Prob. been tucked away for many, many years in someones basement.

Hiya,

Every three months or so I'll get out the can of Old Spice. I found this unused set about three years ago, made between 1956-62. Performance is very good, and the scent is still plenty strong. Matter of fact, the lather has just a hint of cloves that I don't find in other OS frags. Heh, believe me when I say I was pretty damned surprised at how effective this old shaving cream is still .

Makes for a very nice change of pace,

Martin

Attachments

• old spice.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 201
  • old spice set.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 201
The oldest cream I've had a go at was a dried out tub of Coates. I added a teaspoon of water, put the lid back on and mixed it up a few days later. I read that it's not too good to add too much water as it will turn into a runny mess.
It was perfect for a while but didn't last and dried out quickly again.
I ended up using it like a soap and finished it like that, no problem.

Back
Top Bottom