How many shaves per blade?

Hi guys,

Now I'm not daft enough to think that there is a definitive answer to this but I am very interested to know what you guys get out of your blades with the DE's and what blades you use.

Thanks to the great advice here I got my Merkur HD and have had the best shave of my life. I am literally stunned how good it is! My wife and work colleagues are getting a little tired of me ranting on about how good DE shaving is! hahaha.

So guys, 'fess up, how many shaves do you get out of a blade?

ATB

Kim

Depends on the blade.

Gillette Swede, Gillette 7O'Clock (Yellow), Iridium Super ~ 5
Feather ~ 3

SE and Injector blades ~ 4

Ian

Legsa :lol:

typical average is about 3-4 for most but i'll keep using 'til i feel the tug, some lads chuck them way before that point to avoid any nasty shaves

Cheers guys, very interesting.

As I said, I am very new to this so I'll see what routine I settle into - though I am gonna stick to one type of blade till I'm used to it.

5 from a Derby
2 and a scrape from anything else

TBH the most disappointing thing I've found since beginning DE shaving is the lack of a blade that will give me a DFS without too many passes and the subsequent irritation. Derby is the most comfy so far. The search continues, but fast running out of options! :mrgreen:

joe mcclaine said:
At least 2 weeks from Red Personnas.

BUT

I only do one pass and I hand-strop the blade every couple of days after the first few shaves to extend its life.
I do similar but have an electrolytic platiridium solution that I soak each of my blades in for 3 days before re-use.

zig zag said:
Tops would be three on both a Feather and an Iridium. Anymore than that and they start to tug like a new Derby.

Haha, I agree wholeheartedly! Derbys never did it for me, they felt blunt to me.

I toss a blade after 2 shaves. They're so cheap that I don't see the point in risking a bad shave to save pennies.

John

Back
Top Bottom