How many shaves? Lost count...

How many shaves do you get with one blade? 3? 5? Some blades I've been binned after shave, but usually I get 5. But I've been using one of the vintage Gillette "made in England" Platinums that my dad gave me. Been in his bathroom cabinet since the 70's and in my Tech I for nearly 3 weeks and still it's giving good close shaves... It's unreal. Starting to wonder if it'll ever need replacing. And there are 2 more in the pack. Good old fashioned quality eh?

That's pretty good going.

I can get 3 all day with any blade. Just I find on shave 4, the blade is slightly dull and sometimes lead to nicks.

I did a little test against a fresh blade and a 4 shave one (switching blades mid shave!) and I could tell the difference. It's very slight but on areas on tougher beard, I think this is where it matters.

Pretty sure that my first day with this blade was 5th Dec so that's 20 days on that one blade. Not bad, but I've now retired it. Tomorrow being a special day and all that I'm breaking out my NOS Ever Ready 1912. Got to have a good shave before wife finds out she has no pressie from me... (see my thread in the Lounge...)

the old wilkinson sword blades used to last me yonks, of course if i was on willy barber duty they were one shave and then binned. The only notable exception was an arab chap i shaved once (nopple to knee) for a valve replacement op. Took 2 blades aa he was so hairy.

I have always struggled with cartridges to get a decent shave after the blades are past ther best as my skin starts to suffer and I found that my face was getting ripped to pieces. I might get 4 shaves out of a mach3 where as friends would often get 6-8.

I tried 3 shaves with the Merk blades that came with my Futur at Xmas, but soon realised that 2 shaves was the limit for these blades as they started to pull and caused lots of niks. I havent ventured past setting number 1 yet, but this seems to produce great results.

Man of leisure has very kindly offered to pif me a few samples and I will be ordering a samplepack or two from connaught so I am looking forward to comparing over the next few weeks. :shave

I only go 3 shaves.. probably could push it further with some makes, but at about 10 pence per blade, you're kicking the arse out of "value for money" if you are reusing it for a whole week. Change it after 3 or 4 shaves, god damn cheapskate!

I always used to make cartridges last one week. But at a pound per cart, they'd better last a week. Not that they were EVER good, let alone after 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom