How long have slants been around??

I was just wondering how long slants have been around and when did people start using them?

Just an assumption that DE razors started out with open comb, closed comb and then slant being the most recent innovation is this correct?

Big.Dave said:
I was just wondering how long slants have been around and when did people start using them?

Just an assumption that DE razors started out with open comb, closed comb and then slant being the most recent innovation is this correct?

The OC was the first, and that was because it was easier to manufacture then a solid guard bar, Gillette introduced the Tech with a solid guard bar in 1939 (1938 in a "test market")
I'm just looking through a few books for a reply, so far the oldest reference I've found is an ad for a 1953 Slant (Hoffritz), less than a year later Gillette introduced colour coded TTO Superspeeds (Red and Blue), to combat the variability you could have with a slant. This led the way to the first "adjustable" in 1958.

From my limited knowledge, there are very few companies that made slants, and from what I gather, Gillette never made any slant models. (Hoffritz, Merkur did though)

A slant needs a solid guard bar to be functional, so I'd say early 50s sounds about right to me.

When I have a moment, I'll look a bit more into my reference books :D

edit: Thinking about it, a slant needs a fairly flexible blade, so it's first appearance can't be much earlier than late forties, early fifties, since "thin" blades were only introduced in the mid 40s.

Max

Don't know the date I'm afraid, however I do have a Merkur slant from the fifties which comes complete in a white plastic case. The case and the one Merkur blade inside have a logo of a stylised head looking to the right with what I assume is the Merkur logo over where the ear would be. The head is very similar to the current Merkur slant, however the handle is shorter & lighter ; unscrewing to come out completely to release the head.

JohnnyO. \:icon_rolleyes:

I got my vintage slant from Dave at safetyrazors.co.uk and tried a bit of research on this but couldn't find anything conclusive.
There's been some debate elsewhere on the net about this with one of the theories relating to the initials DRP being on the inside of the lid of the bakelite box.
The theory goes that if the initials are present, then it dates the razor to production no later than 1945, the initials standing for Deutsche Rechtspartei (German Right Party). The other (more likely imho) explanation is the initials stand for Deutsche Reichspatent (Patented in Germany). Dave told me that someone sent pictures of their razor to Merkur and the best they could come up with was "somewhere between the 30's and the 60's". Vague at best, but interesting all the same.
Mine's a fantastic shaver...but not with a Tiger blade. I tried it the other day and although there wasn't as much bloodshed as I thought there was going to be, the shave was patchy and the mush was sore for a few hours after. Won't be repeating that experiment again.

Tardisbasher said:
There's been some debate elsewhere on the net about this with one of the theories relating to the initials DRP being on the inside of the lid of the bakelite box.
The theory goes that if the initials are present, then it dates the razor to production no later than 1945, the initials standing for Deutsche Rechtspartei (German Right Party). The other (more likely imho) explanation is the initials stand for Deutsche Reichspatent (Patented in Germany).
A bit of half truths in your reply, so let's clear it up...
DRP is definitely "Deutsches Reich Patent", an original and full patent with up to 15 years protection. These were first issued starting June 1877 and ended by the end of the war. (Similar to "Brevete SGDG" on french items, and "reg pat/pat pending" on US and UK items)

Although the patents were no longer issued after 1945, the fact that they were valid for 15 years, means we continue seeing them on items all the way up to the early 60s

From what I gather, patents for slants were first issued in germany just after the war (or even during), but since rebuilding and the war itself used up most manufacturing capacity, you'd probably be unlikely to find one produced during that time. (if they even did).
So I'd say, late 40s, early fifties would probably be right.

Then again, I'm no expert, I just know how to find info :D

Max

Thanks Max, on checking I find that the the case on the one I have is embossed "Original Merkur Solingen" with the DRP beneath. Which fills in a wee bit more info for me. Good of you to take the trouble M8.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom