how long do you get from a gem blade?

newageshaver said:
Just wondering also if there is any merit in turning these blades over to get extra life.

I'm getting 4 days...is that about right chaps?

About ten. You will get more shaves out of them if you practice a bit more. Keep the head of the razor flat against the face.

I mostly get around 5, as against 3 for a DE. I don't turn them over, have no idea if that would make any diff. I could probs stretch another shave or two out of both GEMs & Bolzanos but can manage that wee bit of luxury on my pension and change the blade whilst it still feels comfortable.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Wil said:
newageshaver said:
Just wondering also if there is any merit in turning these blades over to get extra life.

About ten. You will get more shaves out of them if you practice a bit more. Keep the head of the razor flat against the face.

Thanks...will make more of an effort to..I just switched to SE...and found it so easy that I'm not really thinking about technique.

Doing the straight razor thing this month, but the Gems I've been getting here in the US really didn't last longer than two shaves. As they're not individually wrapped, I don't think they stay as sharp a for as long as the DE's

antdad said:
I think you'll find the longevity of a blade really depends on the density and courseness of your stubble.

So, most then should get more than 10 shave out of a SS GEM :lol: Seriously, I have a coarse, fast growing beard. A real dream for a shaving enthusiast.

Wil said:
antdad said:
I think you'll find the longevity of a blade really depends on the density and courseness of your stubble.

So, most then should get more than 10 shave out of a SS GEM :lol: Seriously, I have a coarse, fast growing beard. A real dream for a shaving enthusiast.

Nope, I reckon by the law of averages most shavers have average beards with average densities and have average technique and judging by the vox pop here a GEM seems to last 4 or 5 shaves. I actually employ the technique you suggest but it doesn't prolong the blade life for me nor would I expect it to. 3 or 4 shaves and the blade is done but then I'm not the one declaring myself to have a dream beard or prolong the life of a blade with superior technique.

Seriously what do you think is more plausible, your claim that with practice you can actually double (on average) the life of the blade or mine which is that it really depends on your beard type?

antdad said:
Wil said:
antdad said:

Nope, I reckon by the law of averages most shavers have average beards with average densities and have average technique and judging by the vox pop here a GEM seems to last 4 or 5 shaves. I actually employ the technique you suggest but it doesn't prolong the blade life for me nor would I expect it to. 3 or 4 shaves and the blade is done but then I'm not the one declaring myself to have a dream beard or prolong the life of a blade with superior technique.

Seriously what do you think is more plausible, your claim that with practice you can actually double (on average) the life of the blade or mine which is that it really depends on your beard type?

Do not know, but i do know i got some 10 shaves out of a Kai Mild when i started with my AC SS. Now, after some practice, i get 15. In fact more, but i stopped counting.
As of the beard type, on B&B my beard was amongst the coarsest. That is why i always used aggressive razors with sharp blades.
BTW i am quite sure you can find on B&B 10 for a Gem SS was quite normal.

Wil said:
antdad said:
Wil said:
antdad said:

Do not know, but i do know i got some 10 shaves out of a Kai Mild when i started with my AC SS. Now, after some practice, i get 15. In fact more, but i stopped counting.
As of the beard type, on B&B my beard was amongst the coarsest. That is why i always used aggressive razors with sharp blades.
BTW i am quite sure you can find on B&B 10 for a Gem SS was quite normal.

On B&B your beard was amongst the coursest? Post the link, I'd like to see how it was measured. Yeah I remember now, you're the guy who found four sweet spots on your R41 while using feathers blind folded and yet you're happy to use a blade 10 -15 x even though you need "aggressive razors with sharp blades". Nuff said I think.

newageshaver said:

On B&B a lot seem to get twice that:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/208830-Do-SE-blades-last-longer?highlight=Gem+blades

I was then a starter and got 6, improved later to about 10.

antdad said:
On B&B your beard was amongst the coursest? Post the link, I'd like to see how it was measured. Yeah I remember now, you're the guy who found four sweet spots on your R41 while using feathers blind folded and yet you're happy to use a blade 10 -15 x even though you need "aggressive razors with sharp blades". Nuff said I think.

I think you have me confused with some one else, as I never shave blind folded :lol:

Not much mention of being able to improve the longevity of a SE blade by technique is there? How about a link to show us what a roughty tuffty fast growing beard you have?

If you really want extra life out of your SE blades do what the last contributor said on that thread. Get yourself a hone/strop, they are thick enough to able to refresh the edge successfully.

Back
Top Bottom