How in the hell do I have so many brushes?

I've got four, all synths. two 24mm yaqis for head shaves, a 22mm yaqi for times I'm only shaving round my beard and an even cheaper 24mm that I keep with my travel kit.

Last edited:
I’ve got loads, and have been tempted to buy more but have refrained! I do use most of the brushes, finding each works differently with different creams and soaps, but some don’t get used very often. There are some beautiful brushes out there, and it is easy to get tempted, but sometimes it’s nice - not just with brushes but razors too - to sometimes just enjoy what you have for a while.

Just lucky...I guess. I have 6 I use in rotation. If I ever wind up with a workshop again, I'll probably start spinning handles and making brushes. Have to look into the poured handles with epoxy resins etc as well.

I have currently nine brushes in rotation and two awaiting new knots. A few months ago my dad after using the bathroom commented “Why do you have so many shave brushes?” (I think he was having a non to subtle dig on me having more than one face! Cheeky old beggar) Why do people want more than they really need? That is called desire or greed!

My brother in law loaned me a new boar brush, a Surrey re-knot. Ordered a fan shaped knot, and was sent a flattop instead. I can see why face latherers like flattops, despite their goofy look. Almost ordered a knot for myself, then I regained my sanity.

Maybe in a year or so I'll order a badger D01 two-band flattop from Shavemac. My current D01 won't last forever.

I have currently nine brushes in rotation and two awaiting new knots. A few months ago my dad after using the bathroom commented “Why do you have so many shave brushes?” (I think he was having a non to subtle dig on me having more than one face! Cheeky old beggar) Why do people want more than they really need? That is called desire or greed!
Some of us including myself like to have things of beauty around us and there are some really beautiful brushes out there, definitely desire. :)

Paul.

I was thinking this the other day. From an early age I shaved daily for many years, and only had one brush probably a boar or cheap Badger. Like many I graduated to Carts, and when I started to get skin problems reverted to a Gillette DE.

Somehow, looking for new Razor I came across Shaving Forums and Rabbit holes appeared.
The biggest Rabbit hole being Razors, and though I have a few brushes I managed to limit it to about 15, and no high end ones.
Not sure that an expensive brush improves a Shave, exfoliating !! Is it a myth ?. I can use the humble 404 mixed and provided I get it whetted it coaxes a beautiful working lather from any soap.

So we probably could all manage with one brush if push comes to shove. But Gents keep buying, because I enjoy looking at all the beautiful ones shown in SOTD.

PS Used 404 today with MWF in Chalky Kent and had lovely Shave.

Last edited:
I had one Omega synthetic for years and never even thought about getting another, then @Graydog gave me one that he turned from ebony, and an Ever~Ready, both with horse hair. I was screwed after that.
He also sent me a nice GEM junior and said, "you need this", that was my first single edge.

Back
Top Bottom