How do

Hi guys new to the forum and trying to re learn how to shave properly :oops:
I started many moons ago shaving with a DE and moved on to the disposables, now I'm back on the DE trail and trying to get over the nasty razor burn I'm getting atm :cry:

Evening Tubby, welcome to TSR! :D

One of the main reasons for razor burn is poor preparation. Before you try and perfect your shaving technique make sure you are getting your face ready with a shower or hot towel/flannel before-hand. There are various pre-shave products on the market and many are popular here, but I am sure everyone would agree that good prep contributes to a great shave no matter if you use cartridge, DE or straight.

Just what P/ Cat said Tubby & very welcome indeed to TSR. Good prep & more time than you may initially think can make all the difference to a nice comfy shave I've found over the years. What kit are you using just now ?

JohnnyO. :D /

Thanks for the welcomes guys :D
Atm, while I wait for my Merkur HD and Feather blades to arrive, I'm using a Boots razor with Wilkinson blades, an Erasmic stick soap and a Wilkinson sword brush.
I use a hot towel and lather prep, I shave wtg, re lather, across the growth and if I can stand it against the growth.
I've tried the Tesco blades and though they cause less irritation they don't shave close enough.

Welcome to TSR tubby. Maybe try cutting out the against the grain pass completely, for me it always causes irritation no matter how good my prep is. Also using too much pressure or an incorrect blade angle are other things to watch out for.

When you say , "If I can stand it" that suggests to me that maybe you should just forget about ATG for the moment Tubby. No passes should be a test of endurance, I don't think. If it's as sore as that then I greatly doubt that the upper dermal layers are having a chance to recover before the next onslaught. Maybe try just the one, light pass with the grain. If you're still a bit stubbly rinse your face with lukewarm water, lather up again and lightly go over the bits needing touched up (Hush PigCat you wee rascal !) across the grain, or, if need be with the grain again. The Merkur is a gr8 brand & Feathers are sharp enough that with that combination you shouldn't need to apply any pressure at all, the weight of the razor will do the work for you.

Keep the Faith Bro.

JohnnyO. :shave

Back
Top Bottom