How do you use one of these?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WADE-SHAVING-MUG-COLLECTORS-ITEM-AVELING-1893-/220628613341?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_PotteryPorcelain_Glass_PotteryPorcelain_China_SM&hash=item335e7d78dd#ht_500wt_1154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WADE-SHAVING-MUG- ... 500wt_1154</a><!-- m -->

There are lots of them on E-Bay.

It's the holes on top that confuse me. Are you supposed to put a cake of soap on top and fill with hot water?

My dad had something similar when I was younger.

It had a soap cake on the top and the bottom part should be filled with water - exactly like you thought so you can soak your brush.

I believe the holes are to stop the soap sitting in water.

Hope that helps

CF

That design of scuttle was used when you had to carry your own hot water to wherever you were shaving.

Nowadays, they are fairly useless.

Ok. So it precedes the combi boiler then.

I'm still not convinced about the holes and drainage though. Now I'm thinking that you could rest your brush on top to keep it warm while shaving.

I won't lose any sleep over it. Just wondering.

Thanks anyway guys.

Smell The Glove said:
I'm still not convinced about the holes and drainage though. Now I'm thinking that you could rest your brush on top to keep it warm while shaving.

I have one gathering dust somewhere, resting your brush on a slightly warm soap is convenient but not a very effective way of keeping the brush warm unfortunately. I can't see it but I'd like to know if someone does use one successfully.

antdad said:
Smell The Glove said:

I have one gathering dust somewhere, resting your brush on a slightly warm soap is convenient but not a very effective way of keeping the brush warm unfortunately. I can't see it but I'd like to know if someone does use one successfully.

Define 'success' ...

I used mine and it did drain the water through the holes, if did keep the water warm for a couple of passes - which kept the soap warm .. .but not necessarily the lather.

I guess if you load the brush for each pass instead of for the entire shave, it might have worked a bit better. But then I decided to fly in the face of popular practise, and went back to cold water shaves - I might have an occoasional warm water shave session when the future's winter's depths have me in that frame of mind, I guess.

Smell The Glove said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WADE-SHAVING-MUG-COLLECTORS-ITEM-AVELING-1893-/220628613341?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_PotteryPorcelain_Glass_PotteryPorcelain_China_SM&hash=item335e7d78dd#ht_500wt_1154

There are lots of them on E-Bay.

It's the holes on top that confuse me. Are you supposed to put a cake of soap on top and fill with hot water?

Shaving scuttles are more ornamental than anything else now days. As mentioned, they used to be used to carry hot water to wherever you we're going to shave and you would soak your shaving brush in the spout.

The holes on the top are simply to let any excess water drain back into the mug.

I have seen shaving scuttles where you fill them with hot/boiling water and then you can make you foam up in the top and it will stay warm no hole although on guy had designed on with a small hole so in the mixing bowl part so he could tip more water in to his foam if he needed it.

Back
Top Bottom