How do you store your soaps?

I have a number of soaps in rotation and was wondering the best way to store them so they stay fresh. Some are in screw top jars such as MDc, others are in pots (MWF) or wooden bowls. Any suggestions would help.
Edit . I also have most of a 1Kg block of P160 and it may take a while to get through that, I may have to sell some if I cannot find a way to keep it fresh !!
Also after shaves ?
Thanks,
Steve

Only soaps I have found to have any effect with age is cella/p160 and valbora soft. They all dried out a bit on me but still worked fine. I use the grundil tins from ikea for most of my soaps that did not have there own tubs. If you are worried about your p160 stick it in the freezer. As for AS they are just stored on shelves in the bathroom or in the wardrobe

Grundil tins a Boots shaving soap bowl for me for those soaps that do not come in their own container.

My D R Harris soap is in its wooden bowl and has been fine for the last year. I have recently cracked open a tub of Cella that I bought last Christmas and it looks and performs okay.

After shaves should be kept somewhere cool and out of sunlight.

hunnymonster said:
Out of SWMBO's eyesight as I'd be immolated if she detected the extent of the soaps, AS, blades, razors, brushes, ...

She knows, they always do. Many a time I've sneaked something in, only for it to be brought up in conversation at some point... :s

Timely topic. The mugs are starting to be overwhelming. What I thought about doing is a process similar to that I do with the shaving sticks. That being: just slicing off a small piece and sticking it to the bottom of the lathering bowl and lather just what you need. The remainder of the stick stays dry and wrapped.
?? Wouldn't that work with the rounds of soaps??
The remainder stays dry, wrapped and labeled.
Yes/no

Ah, sneaky.

Edit - I ought to address the OP's question. I keep a couple in the bathroom, the rest are in a drawer in the bedroom. They're all in lidded containers.

Johnus said:
Timely topic. The mugs are starting to be overwhelming. What I thought about doing is a process similar to that I do with the shaving sticks. That being: just slicing off a small piece and sticking it to the bottom of the lathering bowl and lather just what you need. The remainder of the stick stays dry and wrapped.
?? Wouldn't that work with the rounds of soaps??
The remainder stays dry, wrapped and labeled.
Yes/no

I would not have thought it is the dry hard soaps that cause the problems in the medium term, rather it is the softer soaps, which will have a bit more water content in them, drying out over time if not sealed up well.

I was having a look at my Cella tub the other day and it had a little icon shaped like a tub with its lid partly open and "12M" written on it. I have seen this sort of notation elsewhere and it seems to refer to the shelf life of the product with 12M being shorthand for 12 months, but I reckon you could keep Cella on the go for longer than 12 months.

I have a couple of these http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13883/Lakeland-300ml-Round-Store-and-Save you can get them from Tescos at a slighty cheaper price.

I have several soaps on the go, so I leave the lid off during the day allowing the soap to dry, and then snap the lid back on a night. They are also useful when travelling travelling.

I've never though about looking for a use by or good till notation . I wonder if you scanned the bar code with one of the phone apps they would give you that info?? Think I'll try tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom