How do you measure/grade sharpness?

How do you measure the "sharpness" of a blade?

I know some people would have microscopes etc but Im meaning on a more practical level.

The way I do it is, I have now (after quite a while) developed a technique and pattern that best suits my face when shaving.

I shave in the same pattern every shave, pass 1 N-S on face, N-S from jawline to adams apple, and S-N from base of neck up, pass 2 across the face and neck outward in, and, pass 3 neck only S-N Jawline to adams apple and touch ups from adams apple down.

I keep this pattern for every shave and this pattern (suiting my growth pattern) usually indicates how sharp the blade is. Basically I look at the end result and see if there is any irritation and/or leftover stubble.

This has shown me that for me, Feathers leave me in a mess (too sharp), Gillette super thins and Bleues leave a little irritation but close shave (sharp blade and a lot smoother than feather), Sharks leave me with the best result (Sharp and smooth), and a few others, like today (Astra SS smooth and sharp enough for everyday) leave me with very little irritation but some stubble patches left over (to my close eye).

How does everyone else measure?

I am in agreement with Antdad to a point, the problem I have is that for me different blades work better in different razors. During the week I have "work" shave (i.e. I look good enough for work). At the weekends I can take more time.
For me there are 2 blade that don't work at all and I guess they are on opposite ends of the scale....... :shock:
Feathers.........too sharp(?) irritate my face and cause more nicks than any other blade.
Derbys just a poor shave don't cut well but do a damn good job on irritating my neck !!
So how do I measure sharpness...........if the tool does a good job then it is the one for me.........sharpness is not what makes a good blade IMHO.....it has to have a number of other qualities as well..........aah well ramble over, off out to Euston Station to get my mates suit out of the lost and found........he managed to leave it on a train and he lives in a foreign place in Scotchland called Glasburgh and claims it is too far for him to walk and get it himself..........lazy git.

Back
Top Bottom