How do you know when you're ready to try a straight?

Hi,

I’ve been shaving with a DE razor since February and enjoy the experience, especially now that I’m getting the hang of face lathering with my soaps. My razor of choice is a Gillette slim but for some inexplicable reason I feel the tug of desire to try a straight. So I hope you won’t mind if I ask a few questions;

Is it too soon to try a straight? Or should I first hone my DE technique to a level of consistency that ensures a superb shave each and every time?

I’m still learning to get the most out of my soaps, should I perfect this essential skill first as I’ve read that a straight is far less forgiving?

In real terms how much longer will it take to shave with a straight compared to a DE? Whilst I enjoy the extra time spent on the art of shaving it seems this appreciation is not shared by others who may want to use the bathroom.

What’s a realistic budget for a sensible razor and strop starter kit; £80, £100, £120?

Can stropping be successfully achieved in secrecy, the acquisition and use of a straight might have to go unnoticed for a while. :oops:

Best regards,

Chris

You should buy an open razor as soon as possible. You are ready to try an open razor when you really want to try an open razor. Same for most stuff.

The first few shaves will likely take a while but after that you can either live with a socially acceptable shave or smooth things out with the de.

If you've got £80-120 email or pm Neil Miller of Strop Shop UK. Or just go to the site and blow your budget. His bargain basement section is also worth checking, vintage strops and other goodies.

If you are asking you are probably not ready.

I do think it would be helpful that you are totally comfortable with all aspects of your current routine before you start. It is going to take time to learn and any undue pressure or doubts are not helpful, that's not to say you shouldn't start looking, reading or picking up a bit of kit here or there.

Chris said:
Can stropping be successfully achieved in secrecy, the acquisition and use of a straight might have to go unnoticed for a while. :oops:

Sounds like me - perhaps I should try going undercover and become a secret straight razor user. Wonder how long it would be before Mrs PC found out?

Straights and DE are different beasts. Being able to make a good lather is the most important overlap but otherwise I don't see that its a case of being ready or not but rather whether you want to or not. Taking it back a century or so young men didn't progress from DE to straight the just started off with a straight.

You're ready when you post the question on a shaving forum that says "How do you know when you're ready to try a straight?" :)

No time like the present, but be warned, it's a long haul, so you'll need to be patient.

I tried, but couldn't get on with it.

If you're thinking of having a go, have a chat with Neil Miller of this parish.

Ian

I think DE shaving is rather good training for using a cut throat actually, because it teaches you about pressure and beard growth direction. This doesn't seem to apply to cartridge razors, from what I can gather. Given that you have those two things under your belt, it's the skin stretching and co-ordination issues which are the most important things to learn.

Go for it - I did a few months back after starting DE shaving in December 2009, and I love it. Neil Miller's your man for getting you off to the best start (as others have said), so pop by his site and send him an email if you're not sure about anything.

I actually managed to adjust to straight-shaving pretty quickly, though I think that was just a fluke and a fear of cutting myself making me very cautious as I shaved. Of course, you will have the odd accident (I cut myself tonight - a vertical 1" surface-wound on the cheek - when my attention wandered as I was bringing the blade to my face and it I misjudged the distance in the mirror. Idiot that I am!)

Thank you gentlemen for your help and support, the straight razor holds a lot of appeal to me for various reasons, but I'm also aware of the learning curve and need to approach it with the right attitude and dedication, hence my original questions. I think I may well take the opportunity to contact Neil Miller in a month or so, there is still some research to do and plenty of threads to read here first.

Best regards,

Chris

Hello,

The desire is still very much there and I'm very keen to get started with a straight razor, I'm sure it has everything to do with the photos some members put up on the SOTD! Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have purchased the 'World Of Straight Razor Shaving DVD', is it worth getting?

Best wishes,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom