How do I know if my blade is blunt?

Hi all,

Sorry for the total noob question but how do I know if my blade is blunt?

I used up my last Derby today. It was it's 3rd shave. The fret 2 shaves were perfect however today I've got quite a few nicks/weepers (these are very light, I've just put on a aftershave balm and they have all gone)

Is this blunt? Or have I done something wrong?

Also my last Derby I did 4 shaves on and got some serious irritation on the 4th shave, I presume this was too blunt for me too?

Thanks guys.

If your blade is blunt then it will tend to tug at the hairs rather than cut through them and this can lead to irritiation.

I normally replace a blade after the third shave to avoid this.

However, sometimes I will use the same combination of kit and prep and the shave will come out slightly different. I am not sure why either, is it little differences in technique, the air temperature, humidity, how clean my skin is? I really do not know, but it is frustrating.

Usually you can tell by the feel of the shave itself. You will notice more pulling / tugging, a lack of glide to the blade.
For me i know on the first few strokes if its time to reach for the packet, it just doesn't feel.. right. That might come from 4 years of experience tho.

Most peoples rule of thumb is that with the cost of blades being pretty low and the cost of a bad shave being a days worth of red and sore face - if your concerned, don't battle through. Just change the blade and be done with it.

Don't forget however, irritation can be from any number of factors - insufficient prep , 1 pass to many , wrong blade for you...

For me one of the reasons I didn't rate Derbys was that I found inconsistencies with them. I could get three shaves out of one perhaps & only one poor shave out of another from the same packet. Soon as the razor feels like you're pulling it instead of it gliding through the lather is a fair indicator that you should be thinking of changing it.

JohnnyO. :geek:

+1

when that happens ditch it and try another of the same blade, you get the odd duffer

that way you don't write off a brand for one bad un

Attero makes a good point in his last four words: have you tried other brands of blade? Derbys get mixed reviews and the quality can vary (I'm holding back on what I really think of them here), and there's a fair chance that a different blade will suit you better. Anyway, whether you persist with them or try something else, three shaves is the limit for the majority of brands unless you have very light stubble.

Ah, I see Hando's got in before me and his point is also good: you may as well see the packet off. Nonetheless, if you were to try say Red Personnas, you'd almost certainly find the quality more consistent.

To be honest I've only tried 10 Derby blades since DE shaving. Oh and the Merkur that came with my razor.

I prefer the Derby's to the Merkur but now have a sample pack to work though now.

I've chucked the Derby and stuck in a feather :twisted:

As Boab said in another post, Derbys quite possibly get a bad press because it's often the choice of newbies. Don't write them off but work your way through a sampler pack. I'd use at least three blades of each type before moving on to something else. Try not to add any other variables like changing razor, soap etc. however tempting that might be. If you do this you'll be able to judge each blade on its own merits. Personally I don't find that much difference between different makes, but I know most other shavers do, so it's likely you will.

Going back to your original question, I think you've answered it in that you tend to get very tiny nicks with a blade that's on the way out. It will not be as comfortable to use as when it was new, and you may find your skin isn't as comfortable after the shave. Blades are cheap so don't try to use them longer than is comfortable.

PeterFranks said:
Is that three shave rule per blade edge or per blade?

I've been using one new blade edge per shave, therefore getting four shaves per blade. Have I missed something?

I just alternate sides on each 'stroke' . Not sure what others do. Also some people do 3+ passes some do 2 or 1 , each pass maybe one of wtg(with the grain),xtg(across the grain),atg(against the grain). Some try to get the BBS(baby bottom smooth) shave everytime others are happy with a DFS(damn fine shave) .So a 'shave' can be quite a different beast to each user

when people talk about blade life it's shave per blade

i take a stroke then turn the razor over
take another
rinse and repeat

blade gets equal use both sides, too much of a faff to do it any other way

rangers62 said:
NTSST

Never the same shave twice. Certainly in my case.

That is a very useful acronym and so very true as well!

As much as you try and control all of the variables a little extra pressure or slightly to little water or too hot a water, etc. and the end result is different.

I change my blade after 4 shaves, irrespective of pretty much anything else (unless I get a duff blade), but it seems quite a few of you change at 3 shaves which is interesting.

Back
Top Bottom