How aggressive/harsh is the Wilkinson sword ‘butterfly’ (2021 model about £20)

My son (15) has been using this for a while and his technique is much better (he started with this as it is the easiest to change blades, it’s part of a cheapy kit that originally got me into DE rabbit hole)

He is still getting razor rash and I wondered whether one if my other spare razors, Gilette kcg or Merkur 39 might be kinder (ideally not Merkur as that lives in my travel bag)

He is now trying GSB blades rather than the Wilkinson sword (ran out ages ago) or Astra green so that may help

Advice from more experienced people would be appreciated!

Wilkinson Classic New (actually, Weishi 9306P) is a nice daily shaver.
Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Shaving-Razor-Manual-Razor-Classic-Style-Brass-Long-Anti-Slip-handle-9306.jpg

Easy and mild, just needs an opened angle to work fine.
Even better, with a backward grip.
source

I have not used the Wilkinson sword, but when I came back to DE shaving I have found the milder blades just pull my face to pieces regardless of which razor I pick up. It seems blades which are seen as sharper to work better for me, 7 o clocks, nacets, GSBs work ok in pretty much any razor, Feathers in razors I find milder like King C or flat bottom tech. I tend to go for one pass with a touch up and live with results nowadays as apposed to multiple passes trying for the super smooth shave

That’s really kind, thank you! I’ll see how he gets on with GSB and incoming shipment of Barts balms preshave and postshave (versus king of shaves and nivea cast offs) together with a better lather bowl and goodfelllas boar brush (versus flying tiger bowl that’s too big and artificial brush - he lost his boar somehow)

Back
Top Bottom