How about this lot

Hi you may know that i am new here and looking at getting into true wet shaving.
I had considered going straight to a straight razor, however following a consensus of opinion on here i am looking at first starting with a DE.
Having spent some time looking around the forum and reading lots, i have come up with a purchase list. what do you all think.

Edwin Jagger de.87
Personna blades
Taylor of bond street pre shave oil
Taylor of bond street Eton cream
New Forest 2201 (already have this)
Block osma
styptic pencil

Does this seem to be a good starting point.

Pre-shave in my experience has been, shower, then a decent face wash with soap, which when rubbed into my face has a hot towel applied over it fora minute or so. This has seemed to work for me, so i'd recommend giving that a try before you fork out on some expensive pre-shave oil etc.

I was led to believe that the styptic pencil was better at dealing with things beyond slight nicks. If the consensus is the block osma is good enough the styptic will go.
With reguards aftershave, i hadn't put it on the list as i already have large amounts of aftershave so don't require buying any.
With regards the razor. How much difference is there in modern and vintage. Would people say stay with a new model for your first or if possible go with an old one for better quality.
What do you think.

If you flick through some of the pages under Shaving Help / General Shaving & DE Razors, you will probably find this question comes up again and again. Unfortunately, as you will no doubt find later in this thread, everyone has a slightly different opinion.

For me? What I did? I started with the Merkurs (34C & 38C), nowadays i am vintage TTO or Muhle R89. If i was starting again now, especially with all the production issues at Merkur currently, i would go Muhle or (the same headed) Edwin Jagger DE89.

But what do i know ;) :)

I would say it was entirely up to you what you want to try. Do you want a shiny new razor or do you want something a bit more nostalgic that's had plenty of use. There are no real rights or wrongs with either to be honest it comes down to personal choice. I started out with a Edwin Jagger DE89 a few months ago after reading reviews on here saying it was a good starter razor, it certainly was. I've now moved onto a Merkur 38C as I wanted a heavier razor. I used the 38C exclusively and now have bought a Mergress which has momentarily seen the 38C redundant. I bought all mine new as I don't know a lot about vintage razors and I like shiny new!

Check out the buy sell trade section as there are usually razors offered for sale.

+ 1 on what Simmo said. I don't know that you could get a better razor than the Muhle 89 or EJ equivalent. It's a gr8 starter razor which will stay with you. Oil doesn't work for me, irritates my skin, but as has been mentioned I do well with Trumper's skin food which is fine for both pre and after use if that's what you like. I've got both Styptic pencil (for all it costs) and alum block. And yes, I've always found that for me it's better at speeding up blood coagulation if you're unlucky and nick yourself. Certainly loads better than back in the early 60s when we all used to sit/stand on the blue train into work glumly gazing at each other with reams of coarse toilet paper plastered onto every shaving cut.

JohnnyO. :D

Thanks for your opinions, they are very welcome.
I am definitely looking at EJ 89, 34C/38C but also Gillette rocket HD / aristocratic.
Have Merkur had problems with production and is that why they appear to be unavailable.
Choices choices, it's like being in a sweet shop.

heroblob said:
Thanks for your opinions, they are very welcome.
I am definitely looking at EJ 89, 34C/38C but also Gillette rocket HD / aristocratic.
Have Merkur had problems with production and is that why they appear to be unavailable.
Choices choices, it's like being in a sweet shop.

I've sent you a PM with a couple of links you might be interested in.

Well after all the reading and searching i have finally placed my order.
I went for
Merkur 38C red
TOBS Eton cream
Block osma
NF 2201 (here already)
Vulfix Brush stand
Standard sample pack + red personna from Paul
Now just have to weight for delivery so that i can start learning.
Thanks to all.

Back
Top Bottom