Hot flannel/towels

I'm intrigued by the number of people using hot flannel techniques as part of their preparations. Any time I've tried this, the flannel very quickly cooled down to the point where I felt it wasn't helping. Any tips on this one?

Wooster

wooster said:
I'm intrigued by the number of people using hot flannel techniques as part of their preparations. Any time I've tried this, the flannel very quickly cooled down to the point where I felt it wasn't helping. Any tips on this one?

Wooster

Is it too obvious to say "re-wet it in the hot water"?:icon_rolleyes::huh:

It's not something that I do myself, but it seems that you just wait until it cools and then dunk it in the hot water to get it warm again and repeat.

Ian

She wears her flannel rather splendidly!

Seriously, I only use a hot flannel on the rare occasion I shave without first showering. It will cool down pretty quickly so just make sure you get it nice and hot first. Nothing more to it than that.

As WiffWaff says, the water needs to be hot - the strange thing is that your face can take hotter water than your hands can.

I use a flannel regardless of whether I've showered beforehand - with me two goes with hot water is enough and I probably apply for no more than 20 seconds each time. I also use Proraso pre shave and find that this combined with the hot towel gives a very comfortable shave - I use a straight by the way, so this may be over the top if you use a DE.

UKRob said:
I use a flannel regardless of whether I've showered beforehand - with me two goes with hot water is enough and I probably apply for no more than 20 seconds each time. I also use Proraso pre shave and find that this combined with the hot towel gives a very comfortable shave - I use a straight by the way, so this may be over the top if you use a DE.

Not over the top. I use a DE and do exactly the same thing. Proraso is very addictive.

WiffWaff said:
UKRob said:

Not over the top. I use a DE and do exactly the same thing. Proraso is very addictive.

Same here.

jaycey said:
I dampen the towel and put it in the microwave for 30-40 seconds, that's gooooood!!

I boil a kettle (filtered water) and empty it into the sink. The flannel soaks in that for a while, then I take it out and when I can bear to hold it in my hands, on the face it goes. 30 to 40 seconds and then repeat. I also don't think this is over the top for DE. Remember the six P's... (proper preparation prevents piss poor performance). UKRob and WiffWaff, which Proraso do you use? I'm not a pre shave oil kind of man but I'd be interested to see if something else works.

That just sounds time consuming and bordering on a pain in the arse. I tend to cold water shave - after a hot bath or shower, mind - without any specific pre-shave treatment other than splashing my face with water before applying soap. Then again, I'm usually up, washed, dressed and downstairs with the kettle boiling - shower, shave, teeth, everything - within 20 mins of the alarm going off at 6.

Exapno said:
UKRob and WiffWaff, which Proraso do you use? I'm not a pre shave oil kind of man but I'd be interested to see if something else works.

I use the new formula Eucalyptus and Menthol but there's also a Green Tea and Oat version. I don't particularly like the smell of E&M but the softening effect is good. You can also use the same stuff as an aftershave balm.

Exapno said:
jaycey said:
I dampen the towel and put it in the microwave for 30-40 seconds, that's gooooood!!

I boil a kettle (filtered water) and empty it into the sink. The flannel soaks in that for a while, then I take it out and when I can bear to hold it in my hands, on the face it goes. 30 to 40 seconds and then repeat. I also don't think this is over the top for DE. Remember the six P's... (proper preparation prevents piss poor performance). UKRob and WiffWaff, which Proraso do you use? I'm not a pre shave oil kind of man but I'd be interested to see if something else works.

i do the same with proraso pre/post

i still got most of a 500ml tub of old stock left

Exapno said:
[UKRob and WiffWaff, which Proraso do you use? I'm not a pre shave oil kind of man but I'd be interested to see if something else works.

I use the green stuff... menthol. A 100ml tub has lasted for ages. Also have a 100ml tub of Green Tea and Oatmeal, which is more subdued and very pleasant. But... I'm just totally into the menthol... thinking of getting a 300ml jar and saving the smaller jars for holidays

Back
Top Bottom