Horsehair Brushes.

Yellow Jim said:
Bruceonshaving said:
Yellow Jim said:
I wasn't trying to be pedantic. Sorry if it came across that way. :roll: Didn't know if it was a typo, if you meant 85% badger 15% boar or vice versa.

Can you expand on what 85% qualities it has of each? I'm curious to know as I've never tried one. Is it as stiff as a boar? Do the tips split as it's used? Hold water like a badger?

You have asked me this question twice. Once by PM and now here on the face of the forum. Do you expect me to answer it twice?

I suggest that you buy one of these brushes, as they are very cheap, and give us all a full review.

I hit the wrong button and replied to your post by PM first, only realising once I'd sent the PM, so posted the same message as a thread reply (look at the time of the PM and my post, they're identical) as I thought other people might be interested in what qualities a horse hair brush has, just like I am.

I don't know why it's got your back up so much, I was just curious about what your post meant that's all. TBH, I wish I hadn't bothered if it was going to annoy you so much. I mean, it's not like this is a discussion forum or anything.

Jim,

There are far more people willing to help you mate.

SiR-ed8 said:
Yellow Jim said:
I wasn't trying to be pedantic. Sorry if it came across that way. :roll: Didn't know if it was a typo, if you meant 85% badger 15% boar or vice versa.

Can you expand on what 85% qualities it has of each? I'm curious to know as I've never tried one. Is it as stiff as a boar? Do the tips split as it's used? Hold water like a badger?

Jim,

Good question! It's no problem at all my friend. I don't know about that brush but Vie-Long however goes through special treatment process. All of the brushes go through this except the 2 white boar/horse and 2 brown horse as well as J&M models. Hence my 12315 Boar wasn't prickly.

As far as horse/badger Vie-Long they use mane from horse so it's quite soft and we all know the characteristics of badger...

If I had to rate the 4:

Boar 12315 and Horse 13061 would be tied. Followed by Black Badger 16590 and then Horse/badger 14833.

I'm going to update the info when I get a chance on my reviews mate keep a look out.

Thanks Ivan. I've not tried that many brushes, just the one boar (Semogue 830) and two badgers (Kent BK2 Pure and Duke 2 Best). I think I probably prefer the boar brush, although I've not had the Duke very long. I like the backbone that it provides and the tips have really softened with use. I'll probably pick up a horse hair brush at some point to see what they're like, although it might be a few months down the line as my better half is getting a bit fed up with all the aquisitions and I probably shouldn't push it too much.

Yellow Jim said:
SiR-ed8 said:
Yellow Jim said:

Jim,

Good question! It's no problem at all my friend. I don't know about that brush but Vie-Long however goes through special treatment process. All of the brushes go through this except the 2 white boar/horse and 2 brown horse as well as J&M models. Hence my 12315 Boar wasn't prickly.

As far as horse/badger Vie-Long they use mane from horse so it's quite soft and we all know the characteristics of badger...

If I had to rate the 4:

Boar 12315 and Horse 13061 would be tied. Followed by Black Badger 16590 and then Horse/badger 14833.

I'm going to update the info when I get a chance on my reviews mate keep a look out.

Thanks Ivan. I've not tried that many brushes, just the one boar (Semogue 830) and two badgers (Kent BK2 Pure and Duke 2 Best). I think I probably prefer the boar brush, although I've not had the Duke very long. I like the backbone that it provides and the tips have really softened with use. I'll probably pick up a horse hair brush at some point to see what they're like, although it might be a few months down the line as my better half is getting a bit fed up with all the aquisitions and I probably shouldn't push it too much.

Whoa! I love the handle of that one! Well my initial impression of 830 was great. I love its density. One thing I love about Semogue I can't stress this enough is their boar ( at least in my experience ) rarely shed if at all. I ordered it along with 620. I really need to use them again but I'm working on some badgers now.

As for your badgers, I don't know much about them but you've great selection. People spoke highly of them.

Perhaps you should get her a little something from the store ;)

The 830 hasn't lost a single bristle for me in about 3 months of use. Do boars from other manufacturers have a tendency to shed then?

I find the Kent I own a bit too floppy, although it does seem suited to bowl lathering creams. The Duke has much more backbone and I prefer that. Being new at this game, I'm still figuring out what I like and don't like though.

Jim,

It's normal for brushes to shed in general. Too much there's something wrong. However the likes of Van Der Hagen ( VDH ) as well as other inexpensive ones drugstores carry shed a bit more. I actually bought 2 of these in white and blue handle. The white shed more so than its counterpart. Truth be told regardless of what you use someone else may have differing view on that be it stiff or flaccid in performance as well as shedding part of it.

You can remedy the shedding of brush when you load from the puck by grasping the sides of bristles with your thumb, index and middle finger and swirl from there. This minimized if not significantly cut down the initial shedding of boar or any brushes in general for me. This is no guarantee though because when you swirl the brush you are grossly deforming its shape and stressing out the bristles and eventually will either break or shed. That's normal. After awhile it shouldn't shed any longer.

If you're just harsh with a brush ie aggressive rotary motions on your face then there's high likelihood of you breaking its bristles or shedding.

Bruceonshaving said:
Because I went to the time and trouble to answer your PM properly, only to find that you had posted the same thing on the forum.

I appreciate you answered me properly by PM. As I've already stated the PM and post in this thread were made at the same time, before you answered me by PM. I never intended to PM you in the first place, just hit the wrong button.

Back
Top Bottom