Hoping to chance ISP

In a way, yes!

I've been in this job a number of months now and I have come to a conclusion about the general population:

1. 85% of people in this country are morons when it comes to computers. I'm no "hunnymonster" but I know enough. I genuinely have had people tell me that they have no OS on their computer and I have also asked people to check their Icons in the tray beside the clock on the screen and they have come back to me saying that "There isn't a clock" and I find out they are looking at the bottom right of the keyboard and not the monitor. Also in about 60% - 70% of cases you end up having to refer to Modems and Routers etc as "the box".

2. Out of the remaining 15%, 5% are know it all "I work in IT" types who don't know FA about their equipment i.e. "Windows diagnostics told me it was an ISP fault" when the fault they have is that an ethernet cable is unplugged.

3. The remaining 10% are people who are rational and basically want your input on what the problems are and if we can sort them or not.

You do get a tiny amount of completely OTT irrational people i.e. on Christmas eve a woman demanded to speak to a manager because I couldn't sent a Technician out to her by 5pm that day.

It takes allsorts and the world is a funny place, what's not so funny though is the amount of casual racism that is flung about. If I had £1 for every time I have heard "Im not racist but thank god I'm not through to a pakistani call centre" I'd be a very rich man. Regardless of whether or not people think "Indians" don't know what they are doing, we all receive the same training and it's about how you adapt yourself in the workplace.

I pride myself on high standards, others, not so much.

Just some info for missingskin
check the small print because think i saw on plusnet's site that they charge a broadband activation of £25
unless you choose a 12 month contract and add home phone service

Oshi said:
Just some info for missingskin
check the small print because think i saw on plusnet's site that they charge a broadband activation of £25
unless you choose a 12 month contract and add home phone service

I did notice that, not a big problem as you get 3 months free broadband and I don't want to be in either an 18 or 12 month contract. Also I have my own router so it made more sense to go down that route (no pun intended..... :p )

I don't know if anyone has gone over this.

But honestly if Virgin if good in your area, their cable is the best... i pay for 20mb... i get 17... my dad pays for 24mb with BE he gets 6... as his line is crap... this is the problem BT lines are most of the time pretty awful.

Then there is usage caps most ISP s give, therefore again Virgin quite good, i download a lot and had no problems.

Sky s top package is quite good as well.

hunnymonster said:
andyjreid said:
That's exactly what we'd expect to see on a 10M connection.

Cor, Andy's a company man :eek: What's next? Beard? Dodgy jumpers? :lol:

Arf arf arf

James' Speed Test is merely an example of what we'd expect to see on a properly functioning, Upstream upgraded, line.

We occasionally see people clocking in at over their service level, but not very often.

Speedtest.net and all the others aren't that accurate anyway. To get a true idea of your speed you'd need to run that test every 5 mins for a day then take an average.

Typical Tech issue for me:

Cust: Your broadband is rubbish, my speed is shite, Im paying for 10Meg only getting 1.6 etc etc etc
Me: Are you using a wireless router
Cust: Yes
Me: Log into the router and change the channel.
Cust: that won't make any difference
Me: Just try it

Cust changeds wireless channel, speed jumps up to over 8Meg, Not an issue with the internet service, but what ho.

andyjreid said:
hunnymonster said:
andyjreid said:
That's exactly what we'd expect to see on a 10M connection.

Cor, Andy's a company man :eek: What's next? Beard? Dodgy jumpers? :lol:

Arf arf arf

James' Speed Test is merely an example of what we'd expect to see on a properly functioning, Upstream upgraded, line.

We occasionally see people clocking in at over their service level, but not very often.

Speedtest.net and all the others aren't that accurate anyway. To get a true idea of your speed you'd need to run that test every 5 mins for a day then take an average.

Typical Tech issue for me:

Cust: Your broadband is rubbish, my speed is shite, Im paying for 10Meg only getting 1.6 etc etc etc
Me: Are you using a wireless router
Cust: Yes
Me: Log into the router and change the channel.
Cust: that won't make any difference
Me: Just try it

Cust changeds wireless channel, speed jumps up to over 8Meg, Not an issue with the internet service, but what ho.

I know what you mean, I live in an area with about 7 wireless routers within range and it took me about a week after the ISP had stabilised the line to figure out a channel that was free. The default seems to be 11......... :?

missingskin said:
I know what you mean, I live in an area with about 7 wireless routers within range and it took me about a week after the ISP had stabilised the line to figure out a channel that was free. The default seems to be 11......... :?

Default settings for routers made for UK is 6/Auto.

I try to avoid 1 and 11,12,13 also

Unless your Wireless Adapter/Router is actually gubbed then changing the channel with make an instantaneous difference

Best practice is to use channels that overlap as little as possible, because each "channel" is in reality a band and they overlap... 1, 6, 11 are the least interfering channels (and because of that they're most frequently used). Also some kit doesn't like to use 12 or 13...

A reasonable illustration of the overlap is shown on the wiki page

Using something like Netstumbler (on your PC) or Kosta Vasilyev's WiFi Manager (on your Android phone) to see what channels are in use locally - and pick the one furthest away from the neighbours (or the part of the spectrum that has the lowest signal from "foreign" stations)...

Example I'm sat here with mine on channel 1, next door up the way is on channel 6, next door down is on channel 11 (this is an agreed radio plan between us - we talk to our neighbours out here :lol: )

If someone runs up a radio on channel 2, it runs interference with mine on channel 1 and also next doors on channel 6 (to a much lesser extent for the same signal strength) - you can see the minor overlap between ch 2 & ch 6 in the picture on the wiki page...

hunnymonster said:
Example I'm sat here with mine on channel 1, next door up the way is on channel 6, next door down is on channel 11 (this is an agreed radio plan between us - we talk to our neighbours out here :lol: )

That's what you tell us.............

.................. truth is you went round with your snowblower and started making lewd threats ;)

hunnymonster said:
I don't make threats as the old codger who didn't pick up his dog's output found out when I posted it through his letterbox as I advised him I would if he persisted in it not being picked up.

Similarly, my sisters other half once threatened an old friend of his that if he didn't stop whining about something he would pour the contents of the boiling kettle over his feet.

The guy didn't stop whining, the result wasn't pretty.

On the subject of dog "leavings" I was out today and I thought about how commonplace it still is for people to allow their dogs to foul on the pavements. I have yet to see anyone receive a fine for this.

I think better practice would be to allow passers by to rub the dog owners face in the dog egg. That should stop it.

hunnymonster said:
I don't make threats as the old codger who didn't pick up his dog's output found out when I posted it through his letterbox as I advised him I would if he persisted in it not being picked up.

I am with you on that one, I feed one end of my dog, so why should I expect other people to pick up what comes out of the other end........I just wish the sodding police on horses would do the same...... :shock: ........

Back to ISP,s mine changes tomorrow............I may be gone for a while........ :eek:

Back
Top Bottom