hones

thanks for the pointer arrowhead i dont fancy import tax.i put 1500 but meant 15000 for the canadian hone surely someone has given it a test run :roll:

brightwood said:
thanks for the pointer arrowhead i dont fancy import tax.i put 1500 but meant 15000 for the canadian hone surely someone has given it a test run :roll:

Plenty of stockists for DMTs in the UK - you even find them on Ebay, or googling "DMT diamond bench hone Uk" will pull up a few places, such as Diamond Whetstones UK, Pentagon Direct, etc, etc.

ES has a few canadian stones - one is marked as 1500 grit - the natural one, the other is a silcon carbide one: couldn't see a grit rating on that one. As far as I'm concerned, 1500 grit is way too coarse for a shaving edge - its more of a bevel setter. The only exception I can think of are novaculites like arkansas stones - they are often given low grit ratings, but you cannot assess such stones by grit rating - you have to use specific gravity, as the more tightly packed the grit the heavier the stone and the finer the cut. The only arkansas stones of any interest for honing razors ater the 'hard' 'true hard' 'hard black' and 'translucent' and of these the hard black is of limited appeal and the translucent the only one (in my opinion) worth having - and that little stone on the ES site doesn't look like a translucent.

I have got very good edges from translucent white arkansas stones, even though the quoted grit rate is given as meagre 1200+

Maybe the '1500' on the ES site is a typo, but if it is meant to be 15000 than the £12.99 asking price is very cheap!

Regards,
Neil

I think the same stone is on the Shaving Shack site rated at 2500 grit @£7.99 still not high enough tough!
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/posting.php?mode=reply&f=22&t=3519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">posting.php?mode=reply&f=22&t=3519</a><!-- l -->

Jeltz said:
I think the same stone is on the Shaving Shack site rated at 2500 grit @£7.99 still not high enough tough!
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/posting.php?mode=reply&f=22&t=3519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">posting.php?mode=reply&f=22&t=3519</a><!-- l -->

True enough - most barber hones will span a range of 8000+ to 10,000, and only the best will come out at around the 10,000 mark. The people who used them routinely must have either had lower expectations than we do today or following the hone used a pasted strop of some sort.

Regards,
Neil

It's funny how novaculites seem to be completely out of fashion, even amongst woodworkers. I'm still using a hard black Arkansas at work, but I don't like it as much as the Turkey it replaced because it's mind numbingly slow. The results are very good though, and I suspect it might just be good enough for a razor hone in a pinch, certainly nothing remotely like what you'd expect from a 1500.

Back
Top Bottom