Honeing advice please.

Hi, I have a set of Shapton kuromaku stones 350 grit - 12k. I purchased these when I got into Japanese kitchen knifes & sharpening. Could I hone a streight razor with these?
I purchased a 6/8 Tiers Issard Le Grelot about 2 months ago for my 1st Sr & I'm not really been happy with it, it supposedly is shave ready but feels very snaggy to me, I'm tempted to have it over my stones but may do more harm than good.
Can anyone recommend a honemiester worth watching on YouTube, seems to be lots of guys on there with lots of different ideas, So what is the right way to hone?

So I purchased a beat up Dovo pearlex off ebay, it arrived this morning.
Following Lynn Abrahams YouTube video I managed to get a decent looking edge on it.
It took over an hour over several stones to get the edge something like.
I guess the only way to see if I did a good job is try it out. here goes.

Thnx pjgh for the youtube link.

Attachments

• 1000003827.jpg
    1000003827.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1000003828.jpg
    1000003828.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1000003825.jpg
    1000003825.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 5
Good! It shaves ... so now it wants finishing. 12K should be fine, but I notice they're all ceramic (I think) ... any natural stone? Maybe a heavier slurry? I'd also suggest some stropping on quality leather.
They are all ceramic. No natural stones. Will it need to be stopped on ChOx or streight to smooth leather.

Evening bud,
I would also try different angles, from spine flat to your face and with miniscule adjustments open the spine/skin angle. Each of us are different. Your WTG angle maybe different to your ATG angle.
It normally takes around 50 -100 shaves to get "your" routine down to smooth easy shaves with a Str8, even now I can have a "coarse" shave, however, I know its not the razor, or the blade or the edge, it's me.
It just takes a bit time mate. Dont be put off. If the edge is cutting then try angle, looser lather, hydrate the stubble more.
It aint like a lump of plastic with guarded edges, it is the sharpest open edge on the planet, on your skin. You dont want to roughly chop or scrape your stubble (open angle) like a schye you want to slice the hair on an angle (closed angle) like an arborist (or barber) who cuts a branch at an angle.
It can be a bit overwhelming although you will find your way.
T

I didn't think of squeaking the angle a bit, as most people say it should be 30deg.
I guess I'll be experimenting with angle changes now. to see how it shaves best.

DingDing round 2. So I went back to the 5k stone & built up a good slurry & using leading edge strokes & light pressure the edge started to get more refined.
Then added a few drops of water & continued with this method adding more water as I went, until all the slurry had gone & the blade was sticking to the stone with water.
Then repeated that on the 8k & 12k with a good stropping in smooth leather.
Now the blade treetops hairs, I felt confident with that method I honed the Le Grelot too.
Now I just need to try them out.1000003832.jpg1000003838.jpg1000003839.jpg

Partial success, the beat up dovo shaves real nice, I'm still not happy with the Ti, I know it's real sharp now, but it's not as nice to use, maybe it's the different blade that's not suiting me.
The Dovo is 5/8 full hollow.
The Ti is 6/8 half hollow.

While watching honing videos I saw some guys finishing off on balsa wood with diamond emulsion.
Is this something that works or another gimmick?

I've used diamond on felt backed balsa, but knew it was cheating :ROFLMAO:

Again, it's useful for picking up a dying edge ... but even 0.25 can leave a harshness where a good finishing stone would be buttery.

In the end, it's just an abrasive ... like CrOx, FeOx or a metal polish. One of my favourites for refreshing a dying edge was Elsterglanz on a neoprene covered board (you know, the stuff on the back of a mouse pad) and cutlery polish. Elsterglanz diminishes as you work it so after a fresh application, I've run my kitchen knives over it for a good smattering of laps to get the polish worked a bit ...

Back
Top Bottom