Home Desktop has gone purple

On Friday I got home to be told by Mrs Jeltz that the desktop, which is used by her and the kids had stopped working again, this time it turned out to be a failed graphics card (AGP) well to cut a long story short I replaced it with one from another computer but changed from nVidia to ATI and all worked OKish but XP became unstable to the extent that I couldn't install new drivers and couldn't start in safe mode (unless I found a non USB keyboard) so decided to remove the primary hard drive (I always run a primary hard drive with the OS and programs then 1 or more with data) and stick in one I had hanging around and install Ubuntu 10.10.

Now the computer works well and quickly, they can not install the vast quantities of dross which slowed the thing up and they are learning to use Open Office with a sense of being slightly more cool than the average user.

You see there are no problems.......only opportunities.

The only potential difficulty is that I agreed that if she gives it a good run (i.e. to Christmas) decides that she doesn't like it I will have to re-install the old hard drive and try, to sort out the problems but so far so good.

well done for Ubuntu...been using it here for 95% of the time..12 seconds to load and 3 seconds to close

i love it

I think you need to find a non usb keyboard (e.g. ps2) and use the repair function on the XP install disk. Or you might get lucky by installing a pci graphics card then removing all graphics drivers then reinstalling the agp card and drivers. Make sure you backup all important files first. If that doesn't work a wipe and reinstall everything will fix it. You will still need a non usb keyboard.

geek warning :geek:

Back
Top Bottom