Homage To Yardley Black Label

I don't recall smelling the vintage Black Label. Was it that good? :unsure:

F'king lovely! I have a shaving stick and splash combo gift pack and I also have an older, strong as day after the night before piss aftershave which is way more cologne strength by today's standard.

It's a citrus wood ... but more so. Herbals do come into play but seem more like dancing around the fringes, while the deep balsamic and patchouli double-act come tromping through. It has several acts which make themselves apparent over time.

Yeah, lovely!

n6bovDR.gif

Despite my interest in smellies, I've never gone out of my way to seek out anything that is out of production / unavailable.

I find the hype surrounding some fragrances, especially on a forum like Basenotes to be way over the top.

People saying 'you haven't really experienced [insert fragrance] until you've tried batch xyx.123 from the German factory made in 1982' is beyond pretentious.

I know PJGH knows his stuff, and Black Label is universally loved, so I'll let him off ... unless this is just an aftershave equivalent of a 'pump and dump' and it turns up in a BST thread for £200.

I'm being sarcastic, obvs.

The one on the right is the "stinker" hailing from what I think is the pre-powerhouse days but very citrus/woody (read: "catty") on the one of the left is more concentrated around the herbals with more balsamic/patchouli. I think that's what these odes will be more like as it certainly a more accessible scent profile than the older.

If Denim is the leather point of the triangle and Jovan Musk is the amber point, this is the citrus point ... but it is very much of that ilk.

Screen Shot 2023-11-16 at 08.26.07 am.png

I have various vintage versions of Black Label. The Yardley, Lenthéric and the current production of Mayfair. I also have the Yardley Black Label shaving soap.

Back
Top Bottom