History of Straight razors : Any Good Sources ??

Hello all,

I would like to ask you if anybody can post here a good source of history, making razors, razor- makers, and etc.
I just can´t find any good sources to read about all this things.
Is somewhere a comparison of steel quality or any similar informations ??

Thanks for your time
Regards
Laci

Off the top of my head, there's the well known articles by Judge Lummus which you download at your own risk of course (I didn't have any problems though). I seem to remember that there was some good stuff on RazorCentral, but that site seems to have gone AWOL, unfortunately. For razor makers, there's a couple of standard lists online: British and American, and Solingen. There's a similar list to the latter available as a pdf somewhere - Google will oblige no doubt. SRP has oodles of information, opinion and speculation, the trick being to distinguish between them. Finally, here is all the layman could possibly wish to know about ferrous metallurgy in relation to cutting tools, and a fair bit more for good measure, whilst this FAQ is a reasonable brief introduction to the subject from the knife maker's perspective. For razors you can ignore most of the exotic stainless alloys.

Arrowhead said:
Off the top of my head, there's the well known articles by Judge Lummus which you download at your own risk of course (I didn't have any problems though). I seem to remember that there was some good stuff on RazorCentral, but that site seems to have gone AWOL, unfortunately. For razor makers, there's a couple of standard lists online: British and American, and Solingen. There's a similar list to the latter available as a pdf somewhere - Google will oblige no doubt. SRP has oodles of information, opinion and speculation, the trick being to distinguish between them. Finally, here is all the layman could possibly wish to know about ferrous metallurgy in relation to cutting tools, and a fair bit more for good measure, whilst this FAQ is a reasonable brief introduction to the subject from the knife maker's perspective. For razors you can ignore most of the exotic stainless alloys.

Thanks for great materials to read and write up !!!

Are there something about razors from Sweden ??

Regards
Laci

Well, there´s not a bok about it, I´m afraid and very sorry for. There´s one book written about the Swedish knife history that touches the subject.

I´ve done some research about Heljestrand, but not enough and I´ll do more later (I´ve got a contact at the town museum of Eskilstuna).

I know Neil has a lot of good info though, from various sources. Maybe he can help you more (you can allways ask specific questipons and I´ll try and answear them - then Neil can tell you :lol:)

Yellow Jim said:
There's some pictures of Swedish blades and links to some good information in this thread on the other site. I was reading it the other night, not that I'm considering straights of course. :oops:

Thanks for a very nice thread Jim!!

I´m looking for such as steel grades, forging, tempering, cold grinding to right shape and so on.

Regards
Laci

Back
Top Bottom