Hiking Boots

+1 on the Nikwax with leather boots with ought gore tex lining, your feet sweat less in non gore tex as well but still remain water tight for me so far. Best of both worlds then and a bit cheaper to boot. :angel::angel:
Pete

Get some Sno-Seal. It's a bees wax based waterproofer that you smear on, and heat the boots in the oven at 50 degrees celsius. That way the wax melts into the leather. Very effective, and very durable waterproofing compared to other brands. Your boots will have a different look after you are done though :D

/Max

Hi All,

I had to take the walking boots back, they didn't fit comfortably enough.

I ended up with a pair of Peter Storm Skiddaw II and they are much more comfortable and feel a lot better - http://www.millets.co.uk/brand/Peter_Storm/product/083640/ps-m-skiddaw-ii-dk-brown-7.html?attribute=3351780

I like the look of them much more. I didn't like to say when you bought the other ones, but I've never trusted that nubuck would be as waterproof as ordinary leather; although I've never put them to the test.

Bit of a resurection......does any one have any experince with William Lennon Fell boots? Apparently the fully sprung boots are the biz for walking uphills.

They are definately "built" for it, I just cannot see how they would be comfortable.

I had never heard of them, they look quite interesting, but I too would be concerned as to how comfortable they are as that is a big upward curve at the toe end.

From the odd review I have found it does appear they are very heavy, but seemingly very comfortable. I'm not so sure the weight is a good thing in a pair of boots you are trying to drag up and down hills, I tend to prefer the lightest boot possible will giving sufficient support.

Get some decent wax and wax them before you first go out.

I've got some Meindl ones, they're ace. Very comfortable and hard wearing; I've walked about two hundred miles in them and they're still like new.

Again, keep them clean and keep them well waxed.

I can thoroughly recommended a wax call Renapur. It isn't cheap but a little bit goes a very long way.

As for clothing, you can get some very good waterproof kit from army surplus shops if you don't fancy the sometimes guady colours that come with going to an outdoor shop.

Oh, and socks. Spend a tenner at least on a good pair of flat-seamed walking socks. You won't regret it. Luxury and comfort!

And most of all, enjoy it!

Don't be daft Shanky, walking to work ain't quite the same as hiking, hill walking or mountaineering and in those you'd turn your ankle in a second and they'd split in two minutes...look for Lowa, Meindl or Haix.

b8e8fa71-15cd-4fe6-b8bc-a17300df2a5a_350x291.jpg

I bought my Lowa's (current German army mountaineering boot) from a German online army surplus for about 70 euros retail about 180 euros, barely broken in.

Hi amnesia I myself have been a walking enthusiast for as long as I can remember, I live just a stones throw from the Brecon Beacons prime hiking country, and as you can imagine I have probably owned many boots through the years including all the well known brands like Miendl, North Face, Scarpa, and Brasher, and of all those makes I would put the pair I have now way above the rest of the chasing pack by a long way in terms of comfort believe me that's the most important, secondly technical specification on these boots is excellent, even though out of the rest Miendl probably have the better build quality they are not very comfortable and are better suited to a much wider foot, North Face never lasted that long, Scarpa are simular to Miendl, and as for Brasher well they again didn't last me that long, my current pair of boots I have now a Salomon Quest 4D GTX they have impressed me so much I would definietly buy another pair in the future.

Jamie.

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/UV2OQinPmFQ[/video]

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/VOfjfx9N0fg[/video]

Have a proper analysis and fitting done rather than buying blind based off brand recommendations. Meindls, for example, don't work with my foot shape/arch - whereas my current pair of (leather upper) Asolos didn't even require breaking in (first used during a 250 mile walk across Scotland via a few Munros). Also consider the type of use the boots are intended for. Frankly, you can wander up and down Snowdon in a pair of £5 trainers - pre-supposing you're sticking to the Pyg track or the Llanberis route. But a multi-day trek in the Glyderau - for example - is a different prospect.

shanky887614 said:
i have gone up ben anne and ben neveis in them.
i dont walk to work i drive, walking up down stairs, crawling under floors/under pipes in plantrooms etc. the only people that twist there ankle are people who try to rush and have unsure footing. no paths up hills in scotland and cant remember the last time i twisted my ankle

Stick to running cable.

Back
Top Bottom