Highstreet Tabac retailers?

If anyone buys Tabac soap in person rather than on the net id be interested to know where from. Particularly in London or Thames valley area. I've read plenty of rave reviews but want to check the smell before buying some.

Boots have the a/s and deodorant, but bot the soap.

TIA

Drroly said:
If anyone buys Tabac soap in person rather than on the net id be interested to know where from. Particularly in London or Thames valley area. I've read plenty of rave reviews but want to check the smell before buying some.

TIA

I'm so terribly tempted to suggest just have a sniff at any small, decomposing mammal corpse.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:/

LOL

That's why I wanted to check it first. The AS is next to the brut and old spice in Boots. It did make me wonder.

JohnnyO said:
[
I'm so terribly tempted to suggest just have a sniff at any small, decomposing mammal corpse.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:/

I'm with you Johnny,

Nothing like the strong scent of dead things during the morning shave.

No wonder Tabac is such a crowd pleaser,

Marvin

Oh yeah.....to the OP: You are very smart to try and huff this stuff before buying some.

Can't help you out with High St. retailers, but your mention of the Thames Valley area immediately explains the unsatisfactory performance of your Wool Fat. Why not offer the Fat on BST in exchange for Tabac, after all there's no shortage of people who dislike the scent, so presumably there's a fair few barely used cakes around? If successful, you can then make up your mind about it and if necessary trade the Tabac for something else, because there are plenty of other people who do like it. A lot of that sort of thing goes on around here.

Drroly said:

TIA

There's a chemist near Edgware Road tube staion (one stop up from Paddington). Theye've got the stick and the bowl etc. PM me if you want directions. Only other place I can think of is in Bath, but that may be well out of your way.

Arrowhead said:
If successful, you can then make up your mind about it and if necessary trade the Tabac for something else, because there are plenty of other people who do like it. A lot of that sort of thing goes on around here.

Yeah, I do like to stir things up just a tiny bit sometimes as a sorta goof. Heh, I know you like the stuff so feel free to insult any of my favorite items....

My only problem with using Tabac is that the projectile vomiting gets in the way of a safe shave.

Martin

I hated the scent to begin with when I first joined here so I sold my soap. Now I've just bought a stick refill off ebay and really like it. I went through a phase of wanting to try exotic and weird scented soaps before settling down into decent soaps that really just smell of soap, palmolive, provence sante, speick and now tabac again. To me it smells like old fashioned bath soap.

That Mervin is just sich a wee mischief maker......................kinda eggs me on !
Never mind, every thread needs a Martin. And I treasure our Morven .

JohnnyO \:dodgy:

I swear blind that the cake & sticks have different scent ingredients. The cakes i have and have had have all had a quite strong scent where as the sticks have all been milder. I do not mind the scent of either.

As has been mentioned, you will not have a problem shifting it if you dont like it. As far as the whiff of dead animals...unreal.

We've been down this road many times or at least I have. The stick container is more or less completely sealed so when the soap gets wet it stays hydrated and doesn't dry out. The glass jar is "vented" (see the tabs on the underside of the lid that raise the lid slightly) if it's kept in a stockroom for a year it'll become even more dehydrated and therefore potent.

I wrote to M&W also convinced that the stick formula was different and they denied it, it's how the soaps are kept that makes the difference.

People love to rip the piss out of Tabac. You know why? Because it's so bloody good it puts the rest of their namby pamby, soft floral love-bomb rosy, lavender stuff to shame.

It's simply one of the best soaps out there. Scents will always be subjective, but I just get a sharp floral smell. Nothing dead, nothing aged care, nothing bikers ashtray.

Leave your brush by the bowl and it practically lathers itself. Try that Mitchell's, you recalcitrant, fickle, smug bastard.

Sorry, can't help you find it in the thames area, I'm a lapsed pomgolian the other side of the world. There's always Irisch Moos online - it's Tabac in a stick, without the scent that draws abuse.

But if you like the A/S, you'll be fine with the soap. You know it makes sense.

Well, I had a cautious sniff of it today. Good lord it's potent! It really got to the back of my throat. I wouldn't say it's unpleasent, although it is a scent I would associate with beige polyester blouson jackets and brylcream.

TBH I'm concerned such a strongly scented soap would irritate my skin.

However, the the bowl it comes in is very good. It appears superior to the shallow wooden bowls from the 3Ts that slosh lather all over the place.

Anyone got a mostly-used bowl of the stuff they want to sell for a few quid? That way I get the bowl and can see if Tabac is suitable for my skin. :)

Back
Top Bottom