High Steet After Shave Balms

Witchazel must be an astrigent. What about creams on the high street?

The Nivea stuff I have seen on special offer - it's in a ridiculous glass bottle you cant get the stuff out of. There is a version with a pump on the top, but they are not easy to find.

I have here in front of me a tube of, let's see [blows dust off] T-Zone Aftershave Balm, which I suspect came from the pound shop. It claims to contain: "organic hemp; organic aloe vera; organic camomile; menthol and vitamins" plus a whole host of other decidedly synthetic ingredients, which is probably what put me off using it. In the interest of scientific inquiry I'll give it a go tonight :?

Well, it was pretty gruesome, as I suspected. Took away the sting from the wretched blade fairly effectively, but it's greasy, mildly unpleasant smelling stuff which doesn't absorb very well at all: I wound up washing it off. Verdict: yuk.

I wonder what a Palmolive aftershave would be. Witch Hazel? Because I have that already. I'd try it if they released one, though. I haven't tried a bad Palmolive product yet. Who cares if palm oil is destroying the rainforests? It's worth it for a tasty-good shave.

Asda's sell a very good after shave balm made by 'One Planet'. Sells for under a couple of quid and is extremely effective and goes a long way.

The nivea aftershave balms are not bad at all. I use to stick them in the fridge. Feels great. I used the Sensitive version for years because it smells nice.
In some debenhams and house of frasier and selfridges you can get LAB SERIES RAZOR BURN RELIEF. Nevermind the name, it's an AS balm. And my god, it is fantastic stuff.

Never tried witch Hazel. I'll check for it in Boots. Don't think I've seen it in the mens section before. Can I simply put it straight onto my face?
Thank you

hunnymonster said:
You can - it's in the "first aid" section and you'll probably find identical preparations for about half the price in your local supermarket , in the first aid section, if it's any decent size.

Aah, right. Thank you.

Not to sound too cheap, but i recently bought a bottle of the Lidl's ASB. Gio Bellini i think it is, in the silver pump bottle. Under 2 quid so i thought that if it were crap, i hadn't lost too much. In fact, it ain't bad! Smell is ok, and fades to whatever AS you may have applied before after a short time. It is a little greasy in comparison to the Nivea and requires a bit more rubbing in - seems to fight razor burn and cools the face, and all in all, not too bad, especially for that price.

HOWEVER - and this is my caveat.....i haven't looked at the ingredients and so am not sure how much (if any) synthetic stuff is in there!

TOny.

Back
Top Bottom