Hi!

Hi,

I’m a 53 year old newbie to all this. So far I have bought a bought a Simpson’s Duke 3 best badger brush and some soaps. Started with Proraso green with the pre shave and I received my order of RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore - Firenze shaving soap and the splash. Used it this morning - superb soap and the splash is lovely also.

Bought the Stirling Gentleman soap and splash also but haven’t tried it yet.

I can see this the start of a sickness and I still haven’t looked into razors/blades!

Warm welcome to TSR.

Rabbit Hole Escape GIF by Apple TV+

Hi

What razors are in your sights....?

Having never used a DE razor, I want something that is safe, easy to use and gives me a nice clean shave. Having been a Gillette fusion man for a number of years, I must admit, I am a little fearful of tearing my face apart.

Any suggestions? I would rather keep it to below £40 at this stage if possible.

Yeah, DE89 is a good shout and usually suggested. Or a Fatip IL Grosso for something different.

You might just need to be careful as you load a blade as sometimes they have have some play so you might need to align it by eye. Nice razors though and great value.

I'll be different and recommend a Baili BD179 which is a mild razor sometimes relabelled and endowed with quite high prices. You can buy it on Aliexpress for under a tenner including tax and shipping or if you don't want to wait a couple of weeks for delivery from China a Baili BD179C silver/chrome is on Amazon UK for £14.99. Incidentally if you buy direct from China it will probably come with blades which are only fit for the bin.

The problem when starting out is it can be expensive particularly if your new Muhle or Jagger proves to be unsuitable and you have to replace it. Usually beginners start with a mild razor and then find a suitable companion blade through sample packs. If that's not shaving properly then we work up the aggressive scale until we find the sweet spot.

To update I bought a MÜHLE R89 with Twist for around the budget I had set, as it was reduced in price slightly and looks a little easier to change blades. This choice was based on the number of forum recommendations and positive online reviews. I also picked up 50 of the matching MÜHLE blades.

Popped my DE razor cherry using some Bluebeards Revenge pre shave oil and the RozoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore soap and matching splash (lovely scent but don’t last all that long) followed by Alum block and some Harry’s post shave balm that was given to me last Christmas.

I shaved with lightest touch I could muster and at first I couldn’t feel anything and wasn't sure the blade was doing anything. I ran my hand over the bit I had shaved (along the grain) and it was smooth. Two further passes later (sideways and against the grain) and it my face felt as smooth as a baby’s bum.

I did draw a bit of blood in the process, but nothing serious. Just a gentle reminder that the razor is to be treated with respect.

I think I need to work on my lathering and shaving technique for the foreseeable rather than muck around with kit. That said…

The thoughts and advice from the forum faithful is much appreciated
You have done really well with your choices. It took me about 6 months, 9 razors, 10 brushes and more soaps, creams and blades than I will ever need to get where you are now. But that's the trouble, need and want are different paths! Mind you, I would be wary about those blades, they do not seem to be very well regarded and are expensive. Mine's still in the box. Other than that, a great start :)

Back
Top Bottom