Hi, new to the world of traditional wet shaving

Hi and welcome JFK
I did the same thing from trad shav co!!
Same razor though different brushes creams. The only item I have left now is the EJ sea buckthorn soap!
All now vintage.....
Sounds like your loving the whole thing and it will be interesting to see how things go.
Cheers
Tim

Thanks for the welcome chaps, my order has been packaged and should be dispatched in a day or so ... looking forward to it!

In the meantime still using the cheapo plastic wilkinson sword and DE blades I bought from the local chemist - better shave than I've ever had with cartridge razors though haha! :cool:

THE KIT HAS ARRIVED!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

... it's waiting at home for me!

... unfortunately I had a close shave this morning so think I'll let my beard growth go for a day and shave "properly" day after tomorrow. I'll experiment with making a decent lather tonight though ...

... any suggestions about which blade to try first? Think I'll go for the Derby's as they seem to be a popular choice

Hey jfk

What EJ Brush did you go for? Was it a silver tip? Thanks for replying to my forum by the way. I'm very tempted to go for this kit so please let me know how you get on. Would you definitely recommend getting a cheapo wilkinson sword one from boots before taking the plunge? What soap did you use before this?

llyamah said:
Hey jfk

What EJ Brush did you go for? Was it a silver tip? Thanks for replying to my forum by the way. I'm very tempted to go for this kit so please let me know how you get on. Would you definitely recommend getting a cheapo wilkinson sword one from boots before taking the plunge? What soap did you use before this?

Hey there

No I went for the black badger brush as it no "extra" cost in the combined starter kit. I've just been feeling it and playing around with the brush, it's lovely and smooth!

As for a cheapo razor, it was the only one that was in my local chemist so I just wanted to try out single blade traditional shaving first and try and get some something resembling shaving technique first. It took a couple of weeks to get right actually - I had quite a few nicks and 'weepers' on my jawline/neck area whilst adjusting from the 'dragging a cartridge razor across your face', watched a few youtube tutorials and also got used to doing 2-3 passes for shaving.

As for soap, I've been using Nivea's sensitive gel for a couple of years now as I have sensitive skin anyway, it's quite good actually and at least has some glycerine in it and doesn't resemble the canned goop/foam that passes for shaving cream these days. I didn't have a brush so used to hand lather ....

I'll let you know how I get on!

Great, please do let me know. And if you have any particular youtube vids that you could recommend, I'd be most grateful.

Good start here:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66</a><!-- l -->

... first impressions of the razor are that it seems a bit small, it's very heavy though and I think that's the difference - with DE blade shaving you just let the weight of the razor do the work, don't PRESS onto the blade.

I have large hands though so may have to get a longer handled razor in future!

llyamah said:
Great, please do let me know. And if you have any particular youtube vids that you could recommend, I'd be most grateful.

Just search for Mantic59, all will become clear. Many of us have found the path of righteous shavingness through the Master's teachings.

Ainslie

Going to start with the shave tonight, got up late today and also didn't have sufficient beard growth from the previoius day to give my whiskers a good shave.

... want to take my time! :lol:

WOW.

Best. Shave. Ever.

Had a shower, left the top off the wooden bowl of soap, dribbled a few drops of water on it.

Left the brush to soak for a couple of mins in warm water... worked up the soap lather.

First time I've jused a brush, don't think I got as much lather on it from the soap puck as I should have, but made sure I gave a good swirl in a lathering bowl (well, a large cappacino cup!) and worked the lather up. Felt lovely putting it on and made sure I gave a good swirl and paint on my face.

Used the Merkur with an Astra blade, just let the blade rest against my face and used the weight of the razor to shave downwards. Followed the grain and shaved in straight "panels" like all the good youtube vids show :cool:

Re-lathered my face then shaved across the grain, tidied up with a 3rd pass.

Washed face with cool water, splashed some cold water on to close up the pores, patted face dry. Applied Nivea sensitive aftershave balm.

Only 1 slight nick on the neck, used styptic pencil.

Result: Lovely smooth shave all round, only a few spots missed on the moustache area, neck area lovely and smooth.

The other half loves the smell of the sandalwood shaving soap and approved of the smoothness. I've been stroking my face all day haha :lol:

I am a very happy convert to traditional wet shaving with brush and lather!!!!

Hey, might seem like a silly question, but how did you know how to use the soap? I checked the vids on youtube but could only see one for cream. Apologies if I am being dumb!

Back
Top Bottom