Hi from UK

Hi

After lurking here and BadgerandBlade for a few weeks, I went ahead last weekend and purchased a EJ 86, some Trumpers Lime Soap, EJBest badger brush along with Alum block and blades from The GentlemansShop in Hungerford (i will be back !!).

First shave Sunday night and it was the best shave of my life (honest !) Had another go last night and not so good. The shave itself not as close and a few nicks on the neck. I know it could be a number of issues but is my post shave routine OK - warm rinse, cold rinse, rub with wet alum, cold rinse after a few minutes then a bit of after balm ? Have heard good things about witch hazel but am i over complicating ?

So many questions !!

Regards
Vince :p

Hi Vince, and welcome.

Your post shave routine looks fine to me. I don't often use alum, but there are different opinions regarding whether it should be rinsed off, or left on the face - I really don't know.

Ian

Welcome

Your only a couple of shaves in so you are going to get inconsistent results initially.

Study the guides...ask away and just change one thing at a time.

Post shave with a cold rinse, after that it's up to you.

Perhaps after your initial success you got overconfident on your second shave. You may have used too much pressure, more than the first shave. I agree that the first few shaves are inconsistent. Stick with the set-up you have for a while to get used to it before making any changes. Some people 'get it' in a few days, others can take weeks or more, but it sounds like you are most definitely on the right track! :D

Oh, and welcome to TSR!!

Welcome Vince

i agree with what the lads have said

your post shave routine sounds fine, i leave Alum on and apply a balm after it has dried out a bit on the days i use it
if it stings a lot when applying it you've been a bit heavy handed with the shave

it'll come together in a short time

The post-shave routine sounds fine to me. It's basically what I do ;-)

IanM said:
I don't often use alum, but there are different opinions regarding whether it should be rinsed off, or left on the face - I really don't know.Ian

For effectiveness I assume that it is best not to rinse it off - if you use a solid alum block this will not leave a noticeable alum residue on your face once dry. However, the acidity of the alum 'reacts' with the emulsifiers in some ASBs, making them more watery. I therefore rinse after using alum, then dry my face, then apply ASB.

Hi

Thanks for the welcomes. Much appreciated.

Have read differing views on whether to rinse alum or leave it on. Only one way to see if it makes any difference me thinks !!!

Thanks again.

Vince ;)

Back
Top Bottom